Honeywell 8EP407N

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advise for first alarm install, Im not in the trade but wanted to secure my house. Comfortable with my ability (famous last words), but wanted to ask on some possible do/donts. Kit includes 3 pet tollerant PIRS, 2 door contacts, GEN 4 control and 2 RKP's + as per earlier post ( //www.diynot.com/forums/alarms-cctv-telephones/honeywell-reason8-led.353678/ ) 2 reason 8 bell boxes. Was looking to mount 2 PIR downstairs facing away from windows/hot source etc, door contact to front and back, RKP near front door and on 1st floor for part alarm. Bell boxes front and back. Cheers for listening J

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to put PIRs in most rooms downstairs (but not necessarily in the kitchen) and the hall (if you have one). Put one on the landing and in any bedrooms with easy access from outside (from the garage/extension roof?).

You probably don't need two bells, just one at the front and a matching dummy at the back.

If you set it up right, you probably don't need a keypad upstairs either (unless you want one, of course!). You should be able to partset downstairs and head up to bed. In the morning, as you head down the stairs, you'll be picked up by the hall PIR. If this is programmed as a finel exit in the partset, you'll start the entry tone and can unset the alarm from the downstairs keypad.

Reading your other post - it sounds like you've bought it all already! If so, maybe this reply is not very helpful... :oops:

Thanks for advise Eighty, what you describe makes sense now.. maybe see how we go and always put the second pad up on fleabay. you're correct purchased already as seemed a reasonable system for price.. never thought of alarm before but seems the crims are on the increase around my area so want as much of a deterrent as poss. Again thanks for input.. will post on success/fail when installed.

A keypad upstairs is useful if the alarm goes off in the night. You can see which detector activated so you know where the crim might be before you go down the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Finally getting round to the wiring as part of new extension.. Ref the kit mentioned earlier I thought I would go witth positions in drawing (sketch, poor sketch :) small brown blobs mark the spot.. )
Thoughts anyone... 3 x PIR downstairs with 2 of the 3 doors protected. plus 1 x RKP

1 X PIR on landing PLUS 1 X RKP on landing Thoughts anyone ??????

Hi freddy.

I would say stay away from PIRs on landings as if you have set the down stairs up right you won't need them at all put window contacts on your windows upstairs And that should be ample protection. As it will be a utter pain when it comes to bathroom trips at a night I can't make out ur picture but go on a 90* angle square rooms and work on 65* field of arc. Honeywell systems are great starting systems and you can add to them later on... Very diverse.

Hi Swale thanks for advice.. Kit only has 4 PIR's no window contacts.. so thought one on landing to capture movement between bedrooms during daytime. With second RKP upstairs to zone of upstairs at nite for loo breaks.

That's fine but if you set it at night then your unsettling and then setting again.
You can buy window contacts and sell the spare PIRs. I will buy them from you. Lol
Also if you don't set your alarm at night and a security breach happens your insurance is invalid even if you haven't told them you have a alarm.

Sorry freddy I've missed read your model.
Yes that will work as the honey well has isolated zones. Where you can set each one or set the whole lot. My fault apologise.

Great stuff Thanks,,, Next steps to get internal walls built cables run and connected, hopefully one happy home owner.. will post sucess failure, in a few weeks..

Final update.. few delays with building work but finally have alarm installed. very pleased with ease of install and simple to program.. full protection during day with part set for nite time.. 1 dog, 2 cats and no false alarms .. pet friendlies doing there job... only down side is the reson8 bell box.. comfort led's are not bright enough to be seen at night.. some may say they are a waste, but i like em.. so will be contacting honeywell to discuss. Thanks to all for advice... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back