Honeywell automatic bypass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought one of these (right-angled version) and noticed that the original nuts on the 22mm pipework didn't fit. Then I saw on the body of the unit "3/4". Testing it I put some new 22mm pipe in and tightened up the nut but it seemed I needed to tighten really tight in order for the olive to grip the pipe and stop it rotating/moving. Obviously 3/4 of an inch is quite a bit smaller than 22mm but I'm guessing maybe there is some subtly about internal/external diamter and in fact these fittings are compatible?

So the question is, is this thing ok to fit to 22mm (just tighten up more than usual?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-...714791&sr=8-2&keywords=automatic+bypass+valve

Sponsored Links
Your post makes no sense.
So you have a 22mm ABV although the pipework you are fitting it too is 3/4"?

The ABV is 3/4 inch and the pipework is 22mm. Sorry that wasn't clear.

ABV is 22mm.
Had the ABV been 3/4" then you wouldn't have been able to fit it to pipework.
Your pipework is possibly 3/4" so you will require some 3/4" olives..

Sponsored Links
Yes that's why I bought it but on the valve body itself is written "3/4" - no mention of 22mm. And as I say, it seems to require a heck of a lot of force just to stop the copper tube falling out of the valve.

The "3/4" on the body of the valve refers to the thread on the inlet and outlet, which is 3/4" BSP. The inside of the inlet and outlet is 22mm in diameter, as is the hole at the non-threaded end of the nuts and the olives. It sound as if you have 3/4" imperial pipe, which will need 3/4" - 22mm adaptor olives to fit the valve properly (e.g. https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/compression-olives.html last item on first page).

Thanks very much oldbuffer much appreciated! I'll double check the pipe I was testing with but thought it was 22mm - I don't its decades old and I definitely haven't had a need in the past to buy imperial pipe. I have some other pipe that is definitely 22mm so will check with that. I guess worst case just bung it up a bit with some jointing compound, tighten and hope for the best!

One last thing, is it correct to the say then that 22mm fittings (those for 22mm pipe) can still have either 3/4" nuts or 22mm nuts? That would explain why the nuts on my other 22mm fittings don't fit this Honeywell ABV.

1. I wouldn't "bung it up and hope for the best" - I've seen too many floods as a result. Get the correct conversion olives and fit them.

2. Honeywell tend to use a different thread from other makers, for example on their motorised valves. Its an American thread (and probably not BSP as I suggested earlier). I did ask them once and, from memory it is an extra fine unified thread). That's why 22mm compression nuts from other makes won't fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back