Honeywell CM 907 display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, experts. We have had a Honeywell CM907 thermostat/timer installed for almost exactly five years. Several weeks ago, I noticed that the main characters (numbers) on the display (the target temperature and room temperature numbers, to be specific) were incomplete — a large part of each figure was missing, and it was hard to tell what the settings were. In cooler or cold weather, at a certain point in the day, I need to manually over-ride the "Target Temperature" setting for that period, and make it substantially higher than normal, to quickly raise the bathroom temperature. Therefore, it is important that the figure for the target temperature is readable. Not only does the target temperature need to be raised, but, after we come downstairs, it needs to be restored to its normal settings. (Yes, I know that it might be suggested that this period could be set to a suitable, automatically-controlled temperature. However, without going into minute details, let me just say that a manual and temporary over-ride seems to be better for our needs.)

Well, despite the poor quality of the read-out (which also was the case with the "Room Temperature" figures), I did manage to do the over-rides. After a while (I can't remember how long this was), the figures became whole again and could be read easily. Then, a few days ago, they started to break up again. This time, I was just a bit more knowledgeable, and I switched the boiler off and swung the thermostat/timer out of its mounting plate, and left it disconnected for about seven minutes, before re-connecting it and switching the boiler on again, as I had read on a forum somewhere. (This advice was given to another party — at that time, I was just browsing for what information I could pick up.) Also, I rubbed the battery terminals with a dry cloth.

The actual figures, for both target temperature and actual room temperature, seem now to be OK — there is no breaking up, there. However, the actual words underneath the settings figures (which words are in a much thinner type, anyway, than the numbers, even when they are complete) — i.e. the words, "Room temperature" and "Target temperature", are incomplete. Because I have seen this display for a long time, I know very well what words they are meant to display. However, if anyone that is not used to the the display were to look at them, enough of the letters would be missing as to make the words unreadable to that person. All this is to give you readers as accurate a picture of the display, as possible. I'm sorry if it seems long-winded.

So, with all this background, my questions are very simple: a) Ought the thermostat/timer unit to be replaced now, or b) could it soldier on (not quite as it ought to be, but manageable) for a long time yet? My wife and I are quite old, with only small pensions for income, and to replace this thermostat would not be a cheap option for us. That is why I am being cautious about replacing. On the other hand, it would be foolish to be caught out, one winter's day, with a timer whose display has suddenly failed altogether.

Thanks in advance, for an informed and helpful response from anyone.

Sponsored Links
Contact Honeywell, there was a known issue with these screens and hopefully they will send you a replacement. They might ask for a date code from the unit (it only affected some production runs).

Did that you'll need to remove the unit from its Backplate.

Sponsored Links
Contact Honeywell, there was a known issue with these screens and hopefully they will send you a replacement. They might ask for a date code from the unit (it only affected some production runs).

Did that you'll need to remove the unit from its Backplate.
The display won't effect the operation of the thermostat outside of not being able to see what the temperature is.
Thanks very much, Dan, for a simple and to-the-point reply. I shall see what Honeywell may have to say. However, the warranty is for 12 months only.

Honeywell can be very receptive when approached the right way. Keep us posted. Unfortunately I threw a few away last week due to cosmetic case damage :(. I'll see if I have any more.

Thanks very much, Dan, for a simple and to-the-point reply. I shall see what Honeywell may have to say. However, the warranty is for 12 months only.

doesn't have to be within 12 month warranty

Thanks very much for your information, Dan Robinson and Agas. Two days ago, I received a replacement timer from Honeywell, as it turned out that the one we had was one of the bad batch. I fitted it today, and it is working fine. You have saved me about £76.00 plus (and probably, to have someone to fit it would have cost another £40.00.
Gratefully, A.W.

Two days ago, I received a replacement timer from Honeywell, as it turned out that the one we had was one of the bad batch. I fitted it today, and it is working fine. You have saved me about £76.00 plus (and probably, to have someone to fit it would have cost another £40.00.
My son has the same problem with his CM907. Who did you contact at Honeywell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back