Replacing a Potterton PRT100ST Thermostat....advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the old and erratic Potterton PRT100ST thermostat in my hall with something digital.

The Potterton wiring is in the photos.
//www.diynot.com/network/111MATTHEW111/albums/7612

The digital thermostat I'd like to replace it with needs to display the actual temperature as well as the target temperature. I've no need for the ability to program. This is done elsewhere, it is just controlling boiler on/off based on house temperature.

I quite like the Honeywell TH3110 (http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Home/Products/Thermostats/Digital-Non-Programmable/PRO+3000.htm) but appreciate this appears to be something for US market and not us in old blighty.

Could some of you helpful people please recommend a thermostat that is a good bet and shows current/target temperature.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Hi whitespirit66

thank you for taking the time to reply. Your recommendation does not come with a display that has the current and target temperatures on it.

This really is the key feature I am after.

I hope you spot this response and can make a alternative suggestion. Your help (and that of anyone else who chooses to reply) is very very wecome.

Matt

Your recommendation does not come with a display that has the current and target temperatures on it.

This really is the key feature I am after.
Why is it a key feature?

The DT90E normally displays the actual temperature, but you can see the set temperature by pressing the down arrow.

Sponsored Links
Hi D_Hailsham,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It is a key feature for me as it is the only feature I am really bothered about.

Do any thermostats carry the feature of displaying the actual temperature and target temperature at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Matt

It is a key feature for me as it is the only feature I am really bothered about.
What is so important about being able to see actual and target temperatures at the same time?

Is it just a useful feature, or is there some reason which makes it essential?

Do any thermostats carry the feature of displaying the actual temperature and target temperature at the same time?
I don't know of any.

Hi D_Hailsham,

It is a feature I am after because I would like to monitor quite how far away from the desired temperature I am.

It's useless knowing I want to get to 22*C if I am languishing down at 15*C and the heating has been on all day.

But the main reason for wanting it is because I have seen it on thermostats not for this country.

It might well be that I have to settle for a thermostat that only shows the current temperature after a button press, if that is all there is - I thought one of the manufacturers would have it on at least one of their products.

Cheers
Matt

I would like to monitor quite how far away from the desired temperature I am.

It's useless knowing I want to get to 22*C if I am languishing down at 15*C and the heating has been on all day.
I understand.

Most thermometers display the actual temperature by default. The required temperature is only displayed if you press a button.

As, presumably, you can remember what the required temperature is, you only need to look at the stat to see if the current temperature is above or below the required temperature.

As, presumably, you can remember what the required temperature is, you only need to look at the stat to see if the current temperature is above or below the required temperature.

Not in my house, not with my wife :LOL:

I think I'll take a very close look at the Honeywell DT90E.

Not in my house, not with my wife :LOL:
Oh! so that's the problem!

It might be better installing a programmable stat. These can have as many as six time/temperature settings a day. Set the first one to when you get up (0700, 20°C) and the last to when you go to bed (2300, 10°C) the intervening ones could be spaced out evenly though the day and set to the same temperature. This means that any fiddling done by "her in doors", would be overridden an hour or so later and set back to what you want.

Look at the Honeywell CM907. This allows 6 settings per day for each day of the week.

PS Make sure you hide the instruction book ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back