Advice on adding a timer/thermostat to my BoilerMate system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice : ) I have a BoilerMate 2000 and Maxi boiler in the garage. I have an old Potterton thermostat control on the wall in my hall. We are about to decorate and want to replace the Potterton thermostat and move it upstairs to better regulate the temperature upstairs as it gets very warm upstairs.

My wife recently asked our local heating engineer about replacing the existing thermostat with a wireless thermostat with a timer function. We could then keep it upstairs. Our heating engineer said that it's not possible as you can't use a timer to control the heating with a BoilerMate system.

Is this correct? It doesn't seem right to me as surely we would just be adding different temperature/time settings to a thermostat. But then again, I'm not a heating engineer : )

Just after some advice from others with more knowledge than myself.

All the Best

Byron

Sponsored Links
Can't see why not.

Boiler mates work under principle store is always hot and when there's a heating demand, a switch is made and sends power to heating pump to circulate around radiators so can't see why a wireless thermostat won't do the same job in activating the pump via a relay.

Easily doable.
There's a connection for a thermostat on the boilermate PCB, your existing stat will be wired to there. Use this and a perm L-N-E to power the receiver. Put a programmable stat where ever you like.
The built in timer either needs linking out or leaving on constant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back