1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on adding a timer/thermostat to my BoilerMate system

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by 1jobdone, 10 Sep 2016.

1. 1jobdone

1jobdone

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I'm looking for advice : ) I have a BoilerMate 2000 and Maxi boiler in the garage. I have an old Potterton thermostat control on the wall in my hall. We are about to decorate and want to replace the Potterton thermostat and move it upstairs to better regulate the temperature upstairs as it gets very warm upstairs.

My wife recently asked our local heating engineer about replacing the existing thermostat with a wireless thermostat with a timer function. We could then keep it upstairs. Our heating engineer said that it's not possible as you can't use a timer to control the heating with a BoilerMate system.

Is this correct? It doesn't seem right to me as surely we would just be adding different temperature/time settings to a thermostat. But then again, I'm not a heating engineer : )

Just after some advice from others with more knowledge than myself.

All the Best

Byron

2. Sponsored Links
  3. McCombi

McCombi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't see why not.

Boiler mates work under principle store is always hot and when there's a heating demand, a switch is made and sends power to heating pump to circulate around radiators so can't see why a wireless thermostat won't do the same job in activating the pump via a relay.

4. petit_pablo

petit_pablo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Easily doable.
    There's a connection for a thermostat on the boilermate PCB, your existing stat will be wired to there. Use this and a perm L-N-E to power the receiver. Put a programmable stat where ever you like.
    The built in timer either needs linking out or leaving on constant.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local