Honeywell Evohome System

The best valve in the World may well be Hertz, but that is your opinion, no more. It may also be mine, but that wasn't the question, it was, to remind you, why one would use Honeywell's own valve as a preference with the HR92 Evo actuator.

Dan Robinson may be your authority on Evohome, he may even be your Dad. He is a helpful chap but I was fitting this equipment long before either of us turned up on this forum.

My knowledge on battery life (if it is any of your business), is based on our work between 2002 and 2012 with the importer of Hometronic, who specified and installed a 5 figure number of Honeywell HR80 radiator actuators in the UK during that period. They found that the Honeyell VH200 and V117 worked best, and their attendance on the steering group for development of Hometronic put them in direct contact with the original designers in Germany.

But if you want to ask your Dad, go ahead.

I would ask my dad but he'd struggle replying seeing as we burnt him not long back!
I'd ask dan but seeing as he's in intensive care he's got more to worry about!

Sponsored Links
I didn't know, seemed clever at the time; sorry for any offence.

I have installed Evohome myself, 8 HR92 valves for now , with another 4 to add later. Its a ccmbi set up using WB Greenstar 37 CDI from 2007 located in the loft with the Evohome controller on the ground floor . I spent ages reading up before I even ordered the kit . I now intend to add Honeywell V4044c diverter valve for when last radiator is put on HR92 valve. I also changed the radiator valves (this basic plumbing was first time for me) for Honeywell units as the old ones were ancient and dodgy. Every thing worked well for me , and I enjoyed it.

For me the Evohome system is excellent. My wife was worried that it would all go terribly wrong in the early days while I am was abroad with my work. But its been in 3 weeks now and not a problem , I went to Cairo 2 days after it was installed on assignment and can see from my iphone in Cairo that the temperatures in each of the 8 zones are achieving the set points I set with the time schedule I set. My wife has found it easy to use in my absence.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan, Simond
My understanding is I need the bypass from the discussion below.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...adiator-in-my-house-without-HR92-or-TRV/page2

Also see page 10/12 which has questions answered by WB.
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/document/.../IC201209

I don't want to have one radiator without a HR 92 valve , as this will slow down the rate getting a radiator hot in the room I am in, which for me is an attraction of the evohome system. I think it is a pity that evohome don't add a bit of controller code that lets a user select one of the radiators to operate as the bypass (open if all others closed) for over run time period when the heat demand stops, then closes valve (say a 10 min period) .

I was surprised that the WB internal bypass was not intended to deal with a situation all valves closed at the radiators.

Last edited:
Some software stuff I would like on the Evohome but not there:
Ability to use app on my windows PC :
Ability to know on controller / app that the BDR91 heat demand activated
Ability to log temperatures in room with time , and boiler demand activation time
Ability to know on controller or app that manual over ride in use at the HR92 valve
Ability to select one valve as heat over run /by pass valve

Hi D_Hailsham , it is a PDF WB Magazine "The Installer's Choice September 2012",

Do a google search on the link and it comes up for me

Hi Dan, Simond
My understanding is I need the bypass from the discussion below.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...adiator-in-my-house-without-HR92-or-TRV/page2

Also see page 10/12 which has questions answered by WB.
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/document/.../IC201209

I don't want to have one radiator without a HR 92 valve , as this will slow down the rate getting a radiator hot in the room I am in, which for me is an attraction of the evohome system. I think it is a pity that evohome don't add a bit of controller code that lets a user select one of the radiators to operate as the bypass (open if all others closed) for over run time period when the heat demand stops, then closes valve (say a 10 min period) .

I was surprised that the WB internal bypass was not intended to deal with a situation all valves closed at the radiators.

Are there zone valves in the system? If so, then the diverter valve on the last rad wont help will it?

My understanding (and experience with my own evohome) is that once demand stops from all HR92's, the system will also close the zone valve.

Hi CChris,
No other zone valves than the HR92 valves which are my zone valves. My understanding (DIY only) is that the Internal bypass in Combi boilers are intended as emergency protection of boiler rather than intended for day to day use , hence the reports of it making lots of noise when in use .

My other (very possibly dodgy) understanding is that a non actuated (spring loaded) external by pass will not open with a modulating pump on low output and hence the need for the V4044c (electrically actuated diverter valve) for heat dissipation for boiler over run.

If theres no zone valves, then yes I would tend to agree with your first point that a proper bypass is required. As to the second point, I am clueless on that. Im goping down the route of a Low Loss Header (when my plumber can be ar$ed to get back to me), in order to alleviate the overrun issue.

Just for info.

The OP's last contribution was post 7 on 25th November.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back