Honeywell G2-20 issues - can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Honeywell g2-20 alarm system installed. I have gone to set the alarms tonight to find all the keypads are dead - ie no power. I haven't opened the main panel as I am concerned about triggering a tamper response but I can hear that this has power and there is a quiet intermittent beep.

We don't have an alarm company at the moment and it is likely to take me a couple of days to track down a good one (the local one has a bad reputation and we don't have much choice where we are located). I am worried that if it is a power issue the system might be running on battery and when this is exhausted the external alarm might go off. With no keypad access I don't know what I should do if this happens.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Lorri

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have the manager & engineer codes?

Its possible that the system just needs a power cycle or that a fuse has blown but hard to tell without either opening the panel or having access to a keypad. If you do open the panel the system likely will go into tamper mode and could very well set off the external siren, which if your keypad is actually dead you wont be able to silence quickly. Where are you located? Have you checked your fuse board to see if everything is still switched on?

You could possibly resolve this yourself but would need a few things like fuses and multimeter and possibly a spare keypad and a little knowhow, alternatively to avoid nuisance alarms get an alarm company/person out as soon as.

Hi omega015 - thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Yes, the main fuse board is fine and it hasn't tripped the circuit there. I have 3 keypads on the system and none of them has power so I think I can rule out a faulty keypad. I was thinking about checking the fuse for the panel itself, but was worried that might also trigger the tamper mode.

The alarm unset without issue yesterday morning at around 5am but the keypads were dead when I went to set it again in the early hours of this morning. If it is a power issue, will the keypads usually be turned off when the battery backup gets low to reserve power for the panel? Perhaps I should risk checking the fuse? I will still be trying to find a new alarm company to takeover maintaining the system, but we have exhausted nearby options (we are out of town) so it might take a while to get someone who will come from further afield.

Thanks for your help - I am in Norfolk by the way.

Lorri

I also noticed that in my sleepy state posting this at 4.30am I had missed off the make of the system which I have now added :)

Sponsored Links
In that case it does sound like an internal fuse/power issue. Do you have PIR/Movement sensors? Does the LED on them no longer flash when they detect movement (assuming they did before and they are connected to the panel)?

Do you know the engineer code btw?

In order to check you will need to open up the panel and check the fuse F2 which is a glass fuse rated at 0.5amps (500 mA, 20 mm anti-surge). It might be advisable to call to somewhere like Maplins to get some of these before opening the panel in case the external siren does go off. I would also consider turning off the mains power to the alarm in order to work safely. Depending on the settings and condition of your battery this could also trigger the external siren.

If the fuse is the issue you might find it happens again depending on how many detectors/keypads etc.. are wired into the aux power.

q2AMQGQ.png

Thanks so much for all your help in this - it's so kind of you.

No, the PIRs no longer flash either. Sadly I don't have the engineer code, so presumably a new maintainer would have to go back to the factory settings to default and then have to reprogram from scratch.

I will take your advice and try to get some replacement fuses before I do anything further. Thanks so much for the diagram - that helps a lot. There is also an external fuse next to the panel which I seem to remember takes standard fuses. I'm not sure if it would be worth trying to replace this?

Thanks again :)

That external fuse is unlikely to be the fault due to you mentioning your hearing the intermittent bleep which means the panel is getting power. Even though that power could be the battery it would still power the detectors and keypads which makes me believe its just the aux fuse.

Not having the engineer code might make changes down the line more difficult, but this can be reset by an engineer or someone competent should it become needed. You might be able to reset tampers, faults etc.. using your user code if its been setup to do so. You do not need to sign up to any contracts btw in order to get the system serviced etc.. and if you employ a local engineer to do any changes etc.. then they should be able to fix the lost engineer code issue.

Arr OK. I will leave the external fuse then. I have ordered some of the glass fuses and have some alarm companies from further afield calling me back. It's a good point you make about not having to sign up for a contract to get the issues resolved. That might make it easier if I know I wouldn't be stuck with them long term lol.

Thanks again for all your time today. You have been unbelievably helpful and I really appreciate it.

Lorri

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back