Honeywell HCW80 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

First post as desperate for help before I have to call an engineer!

I have a Worcester Greenstar 38HDI boiler and a honeywell HCW80/HC60NG thermostat and relay unit.

We are having problems whereby our heating is failing to come on either on the timer or when the "+1 Hour" function is used.

I can set the thermostat to 25-30 degrees, the thermostat seems to send the signal to the relay unit, the green light comes on the relay unit, but the boiler fails to fire.

Our hot water is working fine, so sure the boiler is OK.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The relays in these units can fail. I've replaced a few. You possibly need a new receiver unit, although it would be worth getting in a heating engineer who can check this is the case.

I have a Worcester Greenstar 38HDI boiler and a honeywell HCW80/HC60NG thermostat and relay unit.

We are having problems whereby our heating is failing to come on either on the timer or when the "+1 Hour" function is used.

I can set the thermostat to 25-30 degrees, the thermostat seems to send the signal to the relay unit, the green light comes on the relay unit, but the boiler fails to fire.
Do you mean the 38CDi Classic combi boiler?

The signal to relay is OK, otherwise the green light would not come on.

So either:

1 The relay is faulty;
2. Cable from relay to boiler is faulty;
3. Boiler is faulty. (The HW side is not turned on the same way)

Here is a check you can do, if you feel competent.

1. Turn the power OFF
2. Remove relay box from wall plate
3. Connect terminals A and B on the wall plate together with a short length of wire.
4. Turn power ON

If the boiler lights, the relay is faulty, otherwise it's the cable or boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I am most definitely NOT competent at this, so think it will be best to call an engineer.

Thanks for the prompt replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back