Honeywell heating pack S Plan cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need 3/4 core cable for wiring a conventional S Plan heating system? Please advise.

3 core cable for room stat
4 core cable for programmer
4 core flex for valves
3 core flex for tank stat
3 core flex for boiler/pump

Can it all be done in 0.75mm cable or do I need 1.00mm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most motor valves are 5 core.

And if your your pump has to be wired into the boiler then you'll need 5.

"Most motor valves are 5 core." Grey(perm live),orange(boiler live),blue(neutral),brown(sw live),earth. Is that right)

"And if your your pump has to be wired into the boiler then you'll need 5".(its a system boiler, will wire to panel and use jumpers for pump I think)

Is 0.75mm wire ok, but it might depend on boiler I guess.

.75 is the correct size to use anything that goes into the boiler must be heat resistant cable so just as easy to wire it all in heat resistant . .75 only costs about 18 quid for a reel of 3 core.
Motorised valve come with with flex already on it,

Sponsored Links
Technically the size of cable is worked out using volt drop and earth loop requirements.

Practically, unless the boiler and controls are really far apart, 0.75mm is sufficient in most cases.

Colours used for phase conductors (eg: L&N) should have Brown or Blue sleeves or markers at the termination points. In other words, if you are using a black as the 'pump live' from the boiler, it should be marked with a brown identifier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back