Honeywell MAX 3 READER WIRING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,

I got a max 3 reader a few months back and not got round to wiring it up to my Galaxy G2-12, I have read the intructions and its rattling my brain! I kind of understand the A B connections and the + & - but when connected to my alarm it cant pick it up when I search for it on menu 63.2.2. But then it sometimes sets the alarm off and says on the keypad MAX ALARM and it keeps going off until I unplug the max from the alarm. I have lost a little black thing, maybe interface? that came with it, this is only for a home install so dont want any mag locks or door strikes, if anyone could shed some light on this Max Reader I would be very grateful! thanks all :)

Sponsored Links
Working from memory here so maybe check my info along with reading your manual.

Each keypad/keymax/keyprox needs its own "address" so that the brain knows which keypad is doing what. On the back of my keypad there's a crosshead type screw you can turn to set its address to position 1-4. The first keypad on the line is addressed 1, the second 2 etc. They also all need to be ran in series and have an end of line (EOL) resistor at the end of that circuit.

Hi, we have 3 keypads that are wired on to the system but the prox reader, (max 3 reader) don't allow you manually select the address. Do I need a relay or mag lock? Thanks

It should be seeing the reader. Have you entered and exited engineering mode to pick it up ?

The 'little black thing' is a suppressor. It's only required when you have a maglock fitted.

Sponsored Links
Oh right so i dont need the supresser, Im confused as itwont pick it up, but it will set the alarm off and it says MAX ALARM 0. why wont it pick it up when it searches for it :( I really want it to work on 'online mode'

Any Idea's? Thanks!!!

Can you try changing your prox keypad address to 2 and then perform an engineering 'esc' to see if the prox will be picked up ?

keypad was already on addy 2 :/ keeps saying max alarm resest required but it wont let me reset, what does 'max alrm' zn:00 24 hour'' mean? thanks

Can you confirm that you have grounded the 'grey' wire, as you don't have the door contact fitted to it ? Ensure it's not the grey+pink wire you ground...

Your current wiring will be:

grey -> 0v
black -> 0v
brown -> 0v
white -> A
yellow -> B
red -> +12V

Wired it up just as you said. Take it that 0v is the black negative? There is just a red led on the max 3 reader, 3rd led down, a box with a cross through, I can't get the panel to pick up the max reader, it says no devices present :( why is it saying that? Thanks for your help!

The LED sounds about right. When you say that it will not pick up the reader, what are you doing to try and get it to pick up ? eng code and 'esc' ? or power the panel off and on ?

Well it's connected, but when I go In to settings on the max on the keypa options 63.2 it says no device present. But If I disable max mode, the very bottom light on the max flashes, guessing it means max mode is disabled. So it must be communicating with the panel, could it be the resistor on the keypad? Or do I need another one for the max? So how i have wired it up is that correct? Thanks :)

It's unlikely to be the resistor. I've got one that I can set up on the bench later to give it a try. I cannot remember any issues with the scanning for the device like you're having though.

Your setup is a G2-? can you tell me the firmware version and how many keypads / devices you have and their addresses ?

We need the software version of the panel, you cannot connect a MAX3 reader to a G2 unless it has version 1.4 software or later.

The MAX3 needs to be addressed, the same way a keypad\prox, RIO (expander) or Portal (RF expander), however it does not has a addressing dial, it needs to be attached to the data bus and then "found" by the panel which allows to to change the default address of 8.

Why do you want a MAX3?

You can get a Keyprox, which is a standard keypad with a proximity reader built in.

If the panel can "see" the device but is showing a tamper, have you got the front lid on? The MAX3 and 4 units have a infrared receiver and transmitter built into the front to alert the panel the front lid has been removed.

You will also have to make sure you have the door contact input cable (grey) is grounded (attached to 0v) otherwise you will get a "door ajar" alarm. This may manifest itself as a tamper on an unsupported firmware version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back