Honeywell ST6400C stopped working when I moved it ... loose wire

Central heating engineer. What exactly did the electrician do ,move the programmer to a different location and also move the wiring / extend it ?
The wiring would appear to be incorrect.

Sponsored Links
Electrician just moved it out the way (put it in the loft) then put it back after I had room boarded and skimmed.

It was all working find until I moved it a bit the other day, then it went off (of constantly going on/off) and I opened it up to see loose connection.
I'll call my heating engineer to fix it. Annoyingly, he was only here on Friday to quote for another job!

Ok , it was working ok until you moved it " a bit" and you only found one loose wire ,did you alter any other wires positions ,or just the loose one ?
If you only tried to connect the one loose wire then it's not a wiring issue at the programmer.

That's right. Just saw the loose wire, which I assume is why it stopped working, then would work if held in a certain position.
As the wire was very stiff and right below one that was a bit loose (first photo) I assumed that was where it must have come from - I tried pulling it towards the empty, I guessed that it didn't come from that, as was stiff. But that did not work. So I put it in the the empty one (electrician's suggestion) and that still did not work.

I've contacted my heating engineer, hopefully he will pop in next week and sort it out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fixed, just about.
In the process of fixing the controller to the wall, a wire sheared off in the wall, so the live feed from the controller to the boiler was broken.
Took a while for the engineer to work that out, as everything everywhere looked OK. He managed to pull just enough cable down to get it connected again, but said only about 3mm is in the connection, and if the controller gets knocked it will probably knock it out.

So for now, I need to be careful, and should be OK (it should not be knocked, although I do need to build a cupboard next to it soon...)

If it fails again as knocking it becomes a problem I cannot foresee, then a wireless Hive system would save having to replace the cable.

If it fails again as knocking it becomes a problem I cannot foresee, then a wireless Hive system would save having to replace the cable.

You should be able to relocate the backplate slightly higher up the wall - far enough to give you enough cable slack for a good strain-free connection to be made but not so far as to require any making good of the old cable hole.

You should be able to relocate the backplate slightly higher up the wall - far enough to give you enough cable slack for a good strain-free connection to be made but not so far as to require any making good of the old cable hole.

Yeah, heating guy did say that might be possible. Will see how it goes for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back