Honeywell ST699 to Hive HW/CH

Odd, but 2 is neutral on the Honeywell stat, seems like maybe reverse polarity on the ST699, should be sorted really

Sponsored Links
I recently connected the new Hive system, hub, receiver, and thermostat but stumbled in working out the wiring on the receiver.
Unfortunately, it is pretty bad form to hijack another post like this (and against forum rules! ;) ), especially as your issue is so different from the original post.

but for some reason, the live is connected to the neutral, and live is connected to the neutral.
As is often quoted on the electrics forum - wires have no idea what colour they are supposed to be.
You need to trace the other end of this cable, to confirm how it is connected up.
Having access to a multimeter may also be useful.

I suspect that it is simply a case that the installer has mistaken the Neutral connection for the Live - the ST699 would still operate regardless of the polarity. But as before, we need to confirm the connection at the other end of the cable.

Last edited:
Apologies if I accidently hijacked the existing thread as I sincerely did not mean to do that. I thought I had created a new post, so happy to remove myself from here and try a and create a new one. Apologies again!

Unfortunately, it is pretty bad form to hijack another post like this (and against forum rules! ;) ), especially as your issue is so different from the original post.

As is often quoted on the electrics forum - wires have no idea what colour they are supposed to be.
You need to trace the other end of this cable, to confirm how it is connected up.
Having access to a multimeter may also be useful.

I suspect that it is simply a case that the installer has mistaken the Neutral connection for the Live - the ST699 would still operate regardless of the polarity. But as before, we need to confirm the connection at the other end of the cable.
I will trace it back to see where it is connected to. I am sure I put a multi meter a few weeks ago and got presence of current flow. I will apply another multi meter. Importantly, need to trace this wire first.

Sponsored Links
I will trace it back to see where it is connected to. I am sure I put a multi meter a few weeks ago and got presence of current flow. I will apply another multi meter. Importantly, need to trace this wire first.
You will get evidence of voltage/current flow if it’s reversed polarity.

Apologies if I accidently hijacked the existing thread
No problem! :)

If you can trace the wire first, then excellent.
If you can't and have a multimeter, then you can very carefully measure the voltage of the brown wire.
Connect one probe to an earth - i.e. touch it to the screw on the electrical socket, below the ST699B, and the other probe to the N terminal in the ST699B connection plate.
I suspect, this will read 230-240V.

Repeat with the blue wire on the L terminal, and I suspect there will be very few volts.

Again, this should be done extremely carefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back