Honeywell st699 to hive (sorry for one more)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently installed the hive to replace my honeywell st699 as per the attached. I did the 8 to 3 like the solid dotted line rather than faint but when I press hot water only it does not fire the boiler. Is this because my baxi megaflow does heating and hotwater together hence the com wires. Does anything need changing or should I just use the central heating setting knowing its always heating the hot water. Any help greatly appreciated. Dan 07814464894
Screenshot_20190120-091234_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored Links
The Honeywell in your photo is wired up in a manner that is normally associated with heating systems that don't allow independent control of the hot water and heating (ie those where the plumbing restrictions mean that it is not possible for the heating to be 'on' without the hot water also being 'on') Normally wiring like this is seen as a bit of a fudge and is usually associated with antiquated systems that have pumped central heating and hot water system that circulates by gravity. I've never seen this set up with Megaflo.

However, the Hive dual channel receiver doesn't have the heating and hot water common (COM) terminals available for use. They are permanently connected to 'live' inside the Hive, which is fine for fully pumped systems with motorised valves.

The wiring can be reconfigured to provide the same outputs from the Hive as are presently provided by the Honeywell.

From your photo, the Honeywell looks to be wired as below. I haven't shown the connections to N & L as they are the same for both. (With the exception of the link wire fitted to the Honeywell L)

Honeywell.jpg

Connecting & configuring the Hive as below will provide the same live outputs that you have now:

Hive.jpg

However, you also have a Megaflo, which are not suitable for gravity hot water circulation and they come with their own motorised valve, so I suspect the Honeywell is only part of the story and there is a bit more going on.

The above configuration will replace what you have now like for like, but will not give independent heating and hot water, so it would probably best to get an expert in to advise you on the best way forward.

Last edited:
Thankyou for taking the time and level of detail. May get someone in. As it stands with it being cold its not a problem as the heating on anyway so can run the hot water. The issue will be come summer. Will keep you posted

Thanks for the update. If you do decide to go ahead as it stands, get rid of all 3 of the brown links and then swap over the remaining wires:

Honeywell N to Hive N
Honeywell L to Hive L
Honeywell 8 to Hive 3
Honeywell 3 to Hive 4

Don't forget to set the Hive to gravity mode.

Then it will work as it does now [hot water only, or heating and hot water] You can still upgrade later if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dude, its wired up the way you said but just hot water not working in isolation as we expected. Didnt need gravity mode as I think its a fully pumped system. Shame its not as simple as bridging connections like the honeywell.

You do need gravity mode, which just describes the method of switching. The Honeywell you had was manually configured for gravity mode using the link wires. That's what they were there for. Gravity mode just provides two outputs. It can be used with a pumped system, but doesn't provide independent control.

Honeywell in gravity configuration
1. Hot water only (Honeywell terminal 8 live)
2. Hot water & Heating (Honeywell terminal 8 & 3 live)

Swapping it for the Hive should have done exactly the same thing, but does need to be set to gravity mode as the Honeywell was.

Hive in gravity configuration
1. Hot water only (Hive terminal 3 live)
2. Hot water & Heating (Hive terminal 3 & 4 live)

Hi stem, thanks for your help. Put it into gravity mode and works perfect now. Hot water can be run independant to the heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back