Honeywell ST9400 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have been replacing my home CH with a TDAO set up. All went well until I came to replace the Honeywell ST 9400 programmer with the Tado extension kit. The question I have is related to this picture. Tado say the ST is wired up incorrectly. Can anyone confirm this?
No wires at all were connected to the 1, 2, 3 or 4 terminals and two wire have never been connected.
Tado have said they can't help.
IMG_1909 3.heic copy 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the wires in terminals L and N are actually connected to L and N somewhere at the other end. Then there is a mains supply present to provide the programmer with power, so it might appear to operate. However the heating and hot water system control wires should be connected to terminals 1 to 4, which are vacant, so it isn't actually doing anything at all.

The ST9400 is a dual channel programmer designed to give time control of central heating and stored hot water heating. So, as a minimum, there should be a wire in terminal 3 which controls the hot water and a wire in terminal 4 that controls the central heating.

Looks like your system may have been modified or maybe changed for a combi boiler etc., since the ST9400 was installed and the controls are now somewhere else. That unit seems to be just functioning as a junction box.

Last edited:
That’s exactly in line with what Tado said and is what I guessed. Why would someone wire it up that way? It was professional installed. Thank you for the reply.

I've no idea why it's wired like that, you would have to ask the installer. I would hesitate to use the term professional though. So what does now provide the time control for your central heating?

Sponsored Links
I knew something was wrong because the thermostat over-ruled the programmer. I used to turn it down low at night.
Now individual Tado TRV’s and thermostat run the system. Problem only came to light when I started to instal the hit water extension kit. I will get someone to come and have a look!

Do you have a stored hot water system then? If so, what is controlling the times that the hot water cylinder is heated up?

An excellent question. The Honeywell obviously didn’t do it. I’m completely lost.

The St 9400 was fitted as a replacement installed by a local company in March 2019. They must have wired it up this way? Evo homes. I should probably give them a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back