Honeywell T40 Thermostat Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my Honeywell T40 Thermostat to a T4. I believe the T40 is usually a two and the T4 is a two wire.

However I have 4 wires in my current T40, I believe I only use wires T1 and T3 into the new thermostat, which is straight forward.

My concern is that my current T3 which is the switched live is a grey wire and that my T2 neutral is a black wire, which looking at other pictures are the wrong way round? I have followed the wires back to the wiring box and they are wired the same way as the thermostat.

I just need confirmation, thee grey wire is ok to use. I do not have any problems with the thermostat or boiler, I would just like more functions.

Attachments

• 20190402_202444.jpg
    20190402_202444.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 20190403_123258.jpg
    20190403_123258.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Hello,

Wiring looks ok to me. Neutral is usually blue, but years ago used to be black. The only thing that matters is in on 1, out on 3, 2 is neutral. If anything should have some blue sleeving on the black to show it’s neutral and as long as brown is permanent live.

Hope this makes sense?

Thank you for your reply.

I have read black wires used to be neutral, but was unsure on the grey, and having seen pictures of of these thermostats being wired up totally incorrect, I wanted to check before attempting.

I shall look for blue sleeving when I take the thermostat apart, and label if not.

Sponsored Links
Never rely on colours in a heating wiring system, they are all different depending on who wired it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back