Hive Install & Honeywell T40 thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me

I have just installed a hive and its all working fine (as such), i have got one last thing to sirt out and am hoping someone can help

if i remove the old wired thermostat (Honeywell T40) and just terminate the wiring, the CH does not work, but if its still connected then all is good. I assume i need the bridge two of the wires for the thermostat, or just remove them at the wall receiver end, but i do not know which wires to bridge or remove.

i have got the following wires in my t40

Earth

Pin two - grey wire with a blue sleeve over it
Pin three - black wire with a brown sleeve
Pin one - brown wire

which of these need bridging please

your help is most appreciated

regards

Attachments

• IMG_6191.JPG
    521 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_6193.JPG
    IMG_6193.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 258
Sponsored Links
You need to disconnect or bridge the thermostat in the wiring centre.

Download the honey well app or google Honeywell s plan or y plan

Work it out from the wiring diagram and what you've got

Hi all. Hoping someone can help me

I have just installed a hive and its all working fine (as such), i have got one last thing to sirt out and am hoping someone can help

if i remove the old wired thermostat (Honeywell T40) and just terminate the wiring, the CH does not work, but if its still connected then all is good. I assume i need the bridge two of the wires for the thermostat, or just remove them at the wall receiver end, but i do not know which wires to bridge or remove.

i have got the following wires in my t40

Earth

Pin two - grey wire with a blue sleeve over it
Pin three - black wire with a brown sleeve
Pin one - brown wire

which of these need bridging please

your help is most appreciated

regards
Hello Riley, I have exactly the same old T40 that I want replace with Hive Receiver to be able to work with Hive mini, I came across with the same issue, I connected N and L and also 3 but when the receiver/app shows that Boiler is on actually nothing happens, I also tried to bridge L and 1 but still not working, did you have lucky in the end and how did you connect?
Thank you in advance, cheers!

Hello Riley, I have exactly the same old T40 that I want replace with Hive Receiver to be able to work with Hive mini, I came across with the same issue, I connected N and L and also 3 but when the receiver/app shows that Boiler is on actually nothing happens, I also tried to bridge L and 1 but still not working, did you have lucky in the end and how did you connect?
Thank you in advance, cheers!
It's always best to start your own post (actually, it's against forum rules to hijack old posts!).
Did you take a photo of your wiring before you swapped to the Hive?

Sponsored Links
It's always best to start your own post (actually, it's against forum rules to hijack old posts!).
Did you take a photo of your wiring before you swapped to the Hive?

Hello, so sorry to made something against the rules here, that was not my idea at all, I though was better to keep the same type of issue in the same post instead of opening a new one.
Ok, so yeah I got picture and even put back the T40 for now so the heating can be on again until I manage to get the correct instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 91
1697568007418.png

Try...
Brown to L on Hive
Grey to N on Hive
Black to 3 on Hive
Add a small link wire between L and 1
And connect the earth wire to the earth terminal on the Hive.

Also, set the Heating control on your boiler to permanently on.

Let us know if that doesn't work!

View attachment 317416
Try...
Brown to L on Hive
Grey to N on Hive
Black to 3 on Hive
Add a small link wire between L and 1
And connect the earth wire to the earth terminal on the Hive.

Also, set the Heating control on your boiler to permanently on.

Let us know if that doesn't work!
Hello again and sorry for the delay on the feedback but just got time today to test all this again!
So, if I connected as suggested the Hive Receiver (HR) not even turn ON, I found a different way to make power on/off on HR but still not able to make the boiler to start!

I try to explain here the better I can what I found when measured the voltages:

With Honeywell T40 on the wall (original connection) and with Thermostat OFF
> I have between 2and1 232Volts
> between 3and1 247Volts
> and 2and3 8,5volts

If I turn T40 Thermostat ON
> I have between 2and1 57Volts
> between 3and1 0volt
> and 2and3 57volts

So, as I said in the beginning if I connect HR as suggested it doesn't power on and when I measured I only got between N and L 197Volts.
A manage to connect this way to get HR power ON:
> I have between N(black) and L(brown) 247Volts
> and between N(black) and 3(grey) 26Volts
> link between L and 1

After all I still can make the HR turn ON/OFF when play with temperatures UP/DOWN on Hive thermostat Mini or even with the phone app but boiler not reading the signal, what could be wrong here, I'm a bit confuse with this, sorry about the long email here but I thought that should be explained in detail, cheers!

You need to check back to see where these wires are connected to the boiler, or supply.

Your multimeter readings suggest that your grey wire - which should be neutral - is not connected.

The receiver is powering on when connected when using black to N, as the return path to the boiler is acting as a false neutral.

Might be best to put the Hive receiver in the same location as the wiring center? Bridge the thermostat connections, or set stat to max?

Might be best to put the Hive receiver in the same location as the wiring center? Bridge the thermostat connections, or set stat to max?
Hi, I was trying this way because the receiver I got is only one channel and to replace the module near the boiler I will need a two channel (HW and CH) before I order this one I checked online and a lot of people done this way with success. Seems like I have some tricky connection style here, but not giving up, yet!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You could try as per @RandomGrinch and check the neutral is connected, however try testing voltages between earth as opposed to neutral (2).

Hello all, just got time this morning to check this again, many thanks for your help here, after follow the grey cable back I found that was not even connected on the other end, so there was no Neutral at all on the T40 side, actually after connected even the tiny led starts to work when the thermo was on, something that I never saw before working! I wonder why electrician installed like that but anyway, after connect this cable and have Neutral it was time to install back the Hive receiver and everything starts to work perfectly, I even connect the bridge between L and 1 otherwise was not able to turn on.
Once again thank you for all the hints here, cheers everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back