Honeywell Thermostat, green light and flashing red light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had a new boiler installed back in January and along with it a Honeywell Thermostat.
There is a white box in the Airing cupboard and the stat control is in my hallway.
I've never been overly happy with the set up of this as sometimes the rads are stone cold even tho the stats up and when I've checked, the white box is completely dead but comes back to life if I push the cover on hard.
A couple of days ago it went off and after a bit of pushing and poking it fired up the boiler but rather than just the green light coming on there's a flashing red one too?
The stat control is now useless as even though it's turned right down, the rads are all burning ridiculously hot.
There is only one tiny button on the white box and I've tried holding this in for a number of seconds to see if anything resets and I've also turned it off at the power supply but still get a flashing red light?
Any suggestions please?
Thanks
Lisa

Sponsored Links
The flashing red light means that the receiver has lost contact with the wireless stat. If it has been playing up before why haven't you called the installer back? Honeywell are normally a reliable make and shouldn't give many problems. There's obviously a dodgy connection somewhere and it should be looked at.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
We're in rented accommodation and even though the Landlord has been told he's the type to leave things till it completely goes before doing anything!
I've changed the batteries in the thermostat to see if that helps, trouble is the weather has turned quite warm this evening and I really don't fancy having the rads on at the moment!

Do you have the instruction books for the thermostat? If you do, find the section on RF Communication Check and follow the instructions.

You can remove the thermostat from the wall by pushing it upwards.

If the problem returns, it's because the signal from thermostat to the white box is being reduced by walls and floors between them. Try locating the thermostat somewhere else, where there are fewer walls and floors in the way.

Sponsored Links
I think it would help if the instructions were in user friendly English.....it took me quite a while to figure out that my own Honeywell gear would only transmit 6 signals each hour :confused:
True what you say though, the room unit should have a push button switch inside that transmits its signal to the boiler unit - which obliges with 5 red flashes if the signal is good, down to 1 flash if its acceptable.
John :)

it took me quite a while to figure out that my own Honeywell gear would only transmit 6 signals each hour
I assume you are talking about a wireless thermostat; if so, you are wrong.

The thermostat divides the time into 10 minute chunks and decides how much the boiler needs to be on during each 10 minutes - all the time initially, then reducing down to 1 minute on/nine minutes off. But the stat is in regular contact with the receiver; mainly to ensure it is still working.

Thank you - that has helped me understand the system better (see what I mean about the jargon)
The system is a Y6630D room stat signalling to a HC60NG controller.
I had noticed the boiler switching off frequently, and I'd really prefer to avoid this if possible (its a Worcester 12/14 Heatslave oil boiler).
As the boiler goes through its usual 12 second start up cycle I thought this may be taxing the ignition system a little.
I'd appreciate your comments on this!

I see you have an oil boiler. The installer should have changed some of parameters.

Cycles per hour should be 3 and minimum on time 4 minutes.

These are Category 2, Parameter 2:Cr and Category 2, Parameter 1:Ot.

The Installation Manual tells you how to change them.

I'm afraid the manual that came with the unit states that the parameters are fixed....could you provide me with a suitable link, perhaps?
I installed the unit - the 12/14 just has a link on the PCB which I removed, and used the receiver to switch either off or on.
Thank you

I'm afraid the manual that came with the unit states that the parameters are fixed....could you provide me with a suitable link, perhaps?
My fault - I didn't take on board which thermostat you have. :oops:

It looks as if your thermostat is really intended for gas boilers only as other stats have variable parameters and the oil boiler ones are as I stated previously.

The DT92E is a suitable replacement.

I installed the unit - the 12/14 just has a link on the PCB which I removed, and used the receiver to switch either off or on.
Don't you have a timer or programmer?

When I bought the place, the boiler was in situ, no room stat, every radiator has a TRV bar one....
Timing and programming we do using the boiler programmer.
I need to keep everything simple, so I thought the Y6630 was the thing to use (a wired stat would be awkward, decorating wise).
If I have bought the wrong one, no worries - I'll get what you recommend.
I do appreciate your time / knowledge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back