Honeywell to Hive - baxi combi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey!

Looking for some advice, I've picked up a hive thermostat for really cheap with a new hive hub, but it came with a dual channel receiver. I know this is wrong, but I read I can just use the heating side of it.

Anyway, this is my issue. My current Honeywell thermostat does not have 4 wires, but only three. One of the is an earth! Does any one have any ideas on how I would connect the receiver correctly to this boiler? Thanks in advance. 20190317_182215.jpg 20190320_125439.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is from the inside of the boiler

Attachments

• 20190320_133127.jpg
    20190320_133127.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 248
Looking at it... would I take...

From the boiler to the hive

Neutral to neutral
Earth to earth

230v out to perm live
Switched live in to ch on

Does that make sense?

The old thermostat has been incorrectly wired, it should have a neutral wire connected to terminal 2, which is missing. It will work in a fashion as it is, but not be as accurate as it should be. It's a pity the neutral is missing, otherwise the Hive Receiver could have simply replaced the original thermostat.

I suspect that your boiler may be of the type that you have to open up the room sealed part of it to access the wiring terminals, if so, this should only be done by a RGI (Gassafe) engineer who can check that it is properly & safely sealed up again afterwards.

If you don't have to open up the sealed part of the boiler then you can DIY, and the wiring for the Hive receiver to the boiler is:

Hive L = Boiler terminal 2, 230v Live Out

Hive 4 Heating on= Boiler terminal 1, Switched Live In

Hive N= Boiler Neutral

Hive doesn't need an earth connection, but if an earth wire is present it can be parked in the earth tether provided on the backplate

If your boiler has an internal timeswitch / programmer set it to be permanently 'on' 24/7, otherwise it will interfere with the operation of the Hive.

Sponsored Links
The old thermostat has been incorrectly wired, it should have a neutral wire connected to terminal 2, which is missing. It will work in a fashion as it is, but not be as accurate as it should be. It's a pity the neutral is missing, otherwise the Hive Receiver could have simply replaced the original thermostat.

I suspect that your boiler may be of the type that you have to open up the room sealed part of it to access the wiring terminals, if so, this should only be done by a RGI (Gassafe) engineer who can check that it is properly & safely sealed up again afterwards.

If you don't have to open up the sealed part of the boiler then you can DIY, and the wiring for the Hive receiver to the boiler is:

Hive L = Boiler terminal 2, 230v Live Out

Hive 4 Heating on= Boiler terminal 1, Switched Live In

Hive N= Boiler Neutral

Hive doesn't need an earth connection, but if an earth wire is present it can be parked in the earth tether provided on the backplate

If your boiler has an internal timeswitch / programmer set it to be permanently 'on' 24/7, otherwise it will interfere with the operation of the Hive.

Thanks mate. I've had a play, and done as you said... hive has powered up, but I have a blue power led and a flashing green when I press central heating. Is this correct? I've not yet touched the hub or the stat.

It is probably OK, the flashing green light shows it it trying to communicate with the non existent Hub, but as I have never carried out the installation backwards (ie the Hub should be the first thing to be installed before the receiver) or tried to operate it before all of the components were installed and set up I can't say for certain.

Did your Hive not come with instructions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back