Honeywell v4043h seems to be permanently open

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two zone s plan CH/HW system (HW and CH on separate honeywell v4043h valves). The valves are on the return side of the system and their outlet sides merge via a T peiece after about a foot of pipe to feed into the input of the pump (that then drives the returned water through the boiler).

Since we bought the house a month ago I have been curious as to why it takes the radiators so long to warm up and why balancing the system has proved so difficult.

Today I noticed that when the heating came on, the outlet side of the Hot Water zone valve got hot much faster than the outlet of the Central Heating zone valve. This was despite the HW circuit being inactive. I took the covers off the Honeywell v4043h valves and found that the CH was open (as expected) but that the Hot water valve was in its closed position.

Despite being in its closed position though, hot water was obviously flowing through the HW valve and the hot water cylinder pipes heated up very quickly (to the detriment of the CH circuit).

When the HW circuit is activated, the syncro motor on the HW valve head operates as expected and the spring return closes the valve again once the HW call is removed. However, regardless of syncro motor position, the water keeps flowing.

Has anyone else seen a V404h3 valve fail in this manner. I can believe it might leak a bit but this one seems to be totally open all the time despite its actuator on the valve head moving normally.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Inside the valve is a rubberised ball, which acts as the seat for vthe valve, these fail, a new ball kit for honeywell valves costs about £8-00 after draining the water from the valve, remove the top cover, you will see the old ball, simply pull it off and fit the new one, don't forget to fit the new O ring to the top plate (supplied) and re-fit in reverse order, fill up & check for leaks, your problem should then be solved! ;)

Boilerman, great advice thanks. Looks like my knee-jerk purchase of a whole new valve last night may have ben a bit premature! Not to worry though, the motor on one of the valves is a bit noisy so I reckon I might need one of those sooner or later anyway.

You mention draining the water from the valve. Unfortunately, I don't have lock valves eather side of the honeywell valve so I guess I'll need to drain the whole system?

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back