Hook and band hinges for driveway gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently installing my gate posts (timber). One is bolted to the wal, the other will be concreted in.

As my house is off at an angle to the driveway, this means that my gate post is also off at an angle

With regards to the gate post that will be concreted in, do I need to put this at the same angle to the post bolted to the house?

In an ideal world I would like the gate straight across the driveway.

If I use hook and band hinges will this do the job in making the gate straight across the driveway as opposed to at an angle?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
If you have the hook out far enough, it should be okay. It's all down to aesthetics versus work/capability. I assume that the gate is hanging on the front of the post and not the inside face..? And that you are not trying to make it "airtight".

If you think that the post will look naff when it's not in line with the gate, then you'll want to cut one side down to give the post a trapezoidal cross section (it will be wider at the front than the back...).

I think we'll need a sketch of ypur drive, house and the position of the gates before we could give you better advice. ;)

If you have the hook out far enough, it should be okay. It's all down to aesthetics versus work/capability. I assume that the gate is hanging on the front of the post and not the inside face..? And that you are not trying to make it "airtight".

If you think that the post will look naff when it's not in line with the gate, then you'll want to cut one side down to give the post a trapezoidal cross section (it will be wider at the front than the back...).

I think we'll need a sketch of ypur drive, house and the position of the gates before we could give you better advice. ;)

I will take a picture now.... 2 secs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back