hook up for portacabin

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I do this myself?
Thinking of taking armoured cabling from a switch box in the garage (previously installed for a kiln which is no longer used - wired from the main fusebox with a 30 amp fuse), down the wall, underground (3 metres), up and through a wooden outbuilding (clipped to frame and roof beams), underground again for less than a metre then up side of portacabin terminating in 65a female connection to the external male socket already connected to the fusebox inside.

Cabin to be used by wife as craft studio/workshop - sockets (sewing machine, radio), lighting, and there are 2 2Kw heaters.

Sponsored Links
It is legal for anyone with the required skill to wire up any low voltage installation. There are things which must be done, but some one with that skill would know what is required although the varying regulations between England, Wales and Scotland could catch out some skilled people, but it would not present a danger not paying the required fees so not really worried if some one does make an error by not informing the required government department before starting the work.

However reference to fuse box ring alarm bells, today to comply with regulations using a fuse box would involve extra boxes to contain the RCD protection and although allowed my impression is you don't really know current regulations?

Even back in 1990 to wire Portacabins we were taking the supply for a RCD protected system. OK it was because it was not unknown for cabins to be moved without requesting disconnection and one would hope you can ensure no one tries to move it while still connected.

However as with any installation you have to work out load and distance and ensure volt drop and ability to trip the protective devices is not impaired. You don't say what size cable or how long, but you will need to work it out including deciding what earth system to use.

I know with radios often a TT earth is used to stop interference, but you don't say if radio is a simple receiver or a transceiver.

What you describe is a new circuit. This is notifiable work. You COULD do it yourself, IF you have sufficient knowledge - and the necessary test equipment - to convince the local authority that the installation that you certify will have been DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED (by you) in accordance with the requirements of BS7671.

Frankly, if you need to ask these basic questions on a DIY forum then you should be finding a registered electrician who will let you do the grunt (electricians do not like digging half metre deep trenches) and then he/she can do the bits that need competence in electrical installation.

Why do you have to go through an outbuilding?

Can't you just skirt it?

Sponsored Links
Why do you have to go through an outbuilding?

Can't you just skirt it?

Well, there's a lean-to outbuilding on each side of an old stone wall which lies between the existing wiring in the garage, an area of garden/grass (where I'd dig the trench) and the new portacabin. Through the outbuildings, under the roof and over the wall where there's a gap between the two roofs, would be more discrete (ie less visible) than up and over the wall itself, which extends beyond these buildings and is still in the way. Going round this barrier would extend the cable run considerably, and involve much more digging too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back