Hoover for general DIY and car cleaning

I wonder what DIY tasks are too much for a Henry to cope with? o_O

When I first started decorating I had the Charles model with the power take off for my sander. The paper bags used to split after about 10 minutes. I had to purchase a secondary filter just to protect the motor.

In time I upgraded to a Festool dust extractor. Three times more expensive but worth every penny. More flexible and longer hoses, anti-static hoses, variable suction and better quality bags and filters.

Sponsored Links
Lidl have vacs at the mo, they also have 10 bags for 6 odd quid . This is what else they'll fit
IMG_20191228_105730361.jpg

which vacuum do you recommend at Lidl please?
The Guidl one at Argos is no longer in stock. Possibly discontinued...

which vacuum do you recommend at Lidl please?
The Guidl one at Argos is no longer in stock. Possibly discontinued...
I've only used the pnts1500 so can only say that it's done fine in the couple of years I've had it..bear in mind that vacs can be nice and light when empty but not so when filling with plaster and brick dust.

Sponsored Links
When I first started decorating I had the Charles model with the power take off for my sander. The paper bags used to split after about 10 minutes. I had to purchase a secondary filter just to protect the motor.

In time I upgraded to a Festool dust extractor. Three times more expensive but worth every penny. More flexible and longer hoses, anti-static hoses, variable suction and better quality bags and filters.
If you had Charles, then you would have had the secondary filter that comes with it from day one to protect the motor.

Anyway, with Charles, but you should not be using paper bags with it, use the proper HEPA fabric bags and they never spilt. And you can run the vacuum for hours with no problem and no dust.

If you had Charles, then you would have had the secondary filter that comes with it from day one to protect the motor.

Anyway, with Charles, but you should not be using paper bags with it, use the proper HEPA fabric bags and they never spilt. And you can run the vacuum for hours with no problem and no dust.

I didn't have the Charles, I had a Charles sized Numatic (from memory I think it was the NVM150 but I am not sure). It shipped with one filter.

When I complained to Numatic about the bags splitting they sent the secondary filter for free.

Why did I use paper bags? They were the only ones that Numatic used to sell in those days...

Apropos to running with fabric bags for hours. That is really bad advice. Once the pores become clogged the motor will either trip or burn out. Some expensive dust extractors will reverse airflow periodically or vibrate the bag to aid airflow.

Some expensive dust extractors will reverse airflow periodically or vibrate the bag to aid airflow.
And what about the others that don't? Do they all burn out.

I'll be sure to tell Charlie that we've been doing our all wrong for all these years. He'll be so upset, but at least he can vac up his own tears.

And what about the others that don't? Do they all burn out.
I'll be sure to tell Charlie that we've been doing our all wrong for all these years. He'll be so upset, but at least he can vac up his own tears.

If the motor doesn't have a thermal cut out, yes the motor will burn out.

I'll be sure to tell Charlie that we've been doing our all wrong for all these years.

On reflection I didn't phrase my post particularly well, sorry. I meant to say that certain types of dust (eg plaster dust) will clog the pores and that the user will need to turn the vac off periodically to tap the bag to dislodge the dust. Depending on the type of dust, you cannot just leave the vac running without any interaction.

Managed to get the hoover from Lidl and better still the PNTS 1500 was down to £40. The same price as the smaller model. Really happy with it so far. It’s a beast compared to my modest Henry.AEC6B418-A189-481B-BAD1-D495092F4CAD.jpeg

The assembly instructions were awful but I’ve managed to fumble my way through it.

A question please: what’s the purpose of this?

9A72CF22-7E43-46AE-B302-6FD0D81AA8BE.jpeg

Thanks for the help so far

Managed to get the hoover from Lidl and better still the PNTS 1500 was down to £40. The same price as the smaller model. Really happy with it so far. It’s a beast compared to my modest Henry.View attachment 180908

The assembly instructions were awful but I’ve managed to fumble my way through it.

A question please: what’s the purpose of this?

View attachment 180909

Thanks for the help so far
You connect hose in there for a blower
Edit ..Bargain I think I paid nearer £70 for mine ,hope you picked up some spare bags cos they are dirt cheap?

if you put a hose on the blower, and put it out through the window or something, it makes your room less dusty because it is not blowing the air around inside.

I haven't got that model, but I expect you just push your hose into the socket.

You can get spare hoses, tubes and heads on ebay in a set at a good price, you first need to measure the size of the spigot that goes into the vacuum. I think it is about two inches, and I used to have one with two-inch accessories, very useful for light, bulky waste such as wood shavings or fibreglass that block the smaller tubes.

very useful, thanks, I still have a 30l Aquavac (made by Goblin)

Are these brown paper bags? I prefer the modern fleece ones.
Yes they are the disposable paper ones and are at least genuine which many from other sources are not.
You are correct in saying the blow function is activated by pushing the suction hose in to the blow port.
It has to go all the way in as it's only the last few mm that starts it blowing

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back