hoover fridge/freezer never going off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mum has a frost free hoover fridge freezer, granted it's about 12 years old but she has cover on it through insurance. freezer was playing up, engineer came out, diagnosed it needed a new fan in the freezer and control panel.

these were fitted about 2 WEEKS later (don't ask!) and mum noticed the fridge freezer never seemed to be going off. now i distinctly remember when i lived at home it used to go on and off as i think all fridge freezers do? anyhow after 3-4 days mum (who is retired and in the house most of the time) was concerned so called them back out.

engineer, whilst polite, basically didn't believe her and said along lines of 'if it was never going off a)the motor would be hotter than it is and b)there would be a gradual build up of ice in the fridge compartment.' also implied she was 'listening out for it' and probably imagining that it was never going off!

now whilst 'the old yin' as i call her is getting on a bit she's far from not being switched on. i know in my place the fridge freezer clicks on and off throughout the day and night (as did the hoover my mum has) but she is 100% sure her one is staying on, even when she gets up during the night she hears it whirring away and it's starting to get her down.

i was in visiting today and the freezer is reaching the required temp as is the fridge, so why isn't it going off? have to say though there doesn't appear to be any build up of ice in either the fridge or freezer compartment.

mum is concerned re: times she's not in in case it overheats in some way. i was in the house for a good few hours and it never once went off. if you adjust the thermostat either way it goes off ... for 10 mins or so ... then on it comes again and it stays on.

what do you reckon? all okay? something wrong with thermostat e.g. not telling motor to switch off? lose of refrigerant??

she might end up replacing it if it appears to be staying on but we're both baffled :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure but it sounds like it is the fan that is staying on rather than the compressor (which would cause an ice build up) is it possible it is just a noisy fan or that it has not been working for a while & is now more noticable. The temp in the fridge is controlled by cold air from the freezer section being circulated around the fridge area rather than coolant in the compressor system so is more likely to be running for some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back