Hoover Performa 900 (AC90 001)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My washing machine has just developed a fault, initially discovered when the door wouldn't open. After having a fiddle with the door opening mechanism, realised that the machine hadn't drained. Thinking about it, I think the machine used to make a 'chunk, ker chunk' rythmic type sound when on the drain cycle (which I don't think it does now), you know how it is, you don't pay attention to these things much day in day out!!!

So I think it may just be the drain pump? This is easy to get to and remove, my question is, do they work on 240v or are they stepped down?? Was going to remove it and test it on the bench?? Also, if it is the pump, anyone know where I can get replacement parts?? Found the part on Ezeefix but didn't know if there was a better/cheaper source???

TIA Breezer!

Sponsored Links
i am not familair with your m/c :cry: but 99% of pumps are mains operated, and it is quite "normal" for one to give up.

tip for emptying m/c

put grey outlet pipe into a bucket, gravity will do the rest.

if not the pump / filter is blocked

All fixed!

Found 20p and two 1p coins when I removed the drum outlet hose... Think they may have jammed the impellor, might not have even needed a new pump. Never mind poor machine is used at least 4 times a day! ( :D my wifes really dirty! :D )

Thanks for your help Breezer, will remember to use appropriate sized container next time... :D

Laminate flooring. Oh dear :rolleyes:

Would recommend http://www.ezee-fix.co.uk/index.html for anyone, good site and quick turnaround.

Sponsored Links
Oh bugger!

No it bl**dy wasn't...

Q. How much water can a drum hold?
A. Trust me you don't ever want to find out... :evil:

Its seems that the machine continues to take in water...

What determines the quantity of water coming into the machine? When I blow into the pressure switch, the machine stops taking in water and starts to turn. I just wasn't sure if the pressure switch was purely for over-fill protection?

The pipe isn't blocked, and I have removed the tee piece to the door lock and connected directly to the switch.

I removed the switch and tested with a meter across terminals 1, 2 & 3... Seems to be a SPDT, and all ok??? But there is another terminal, so can't be to sure if all is as it should be? (terminal 2 is common).

Was also wondering if the door seal wasn't %100 this would cause the symptoms I have???

I don't want to replace the pressure switch aswell and still be faulty, so want to eliminate as much as I can.

I hate being beaten... not feeling so mild mannered... :cry:

Trial and (lots of) error!

what is the problem /symptoms now.

yes pressure switch is what tells m/c to stop filling, but it may have more than 1 level. a woolen programme has more water in the fill stage

if their is a leak be it air or water to the pressure switch then it will not stop filling, but it will also carry on filling if on woolen prog and 2nd level contacts not working

breezer said:
what is the problem /symptoms now.

Wet feet. :D

breezer said:
yes pressure switch is what tells m/c to stop filling, but it may have more than 1 level. a woolen programme has more water in the fill stage

if their is a leak be it air or water to the pressure switch then it will not stop filling, but it will also carry on filling if on woolen prog and 2nd level contacts not working

When I start the machine (40 deg wash - all we ever use) the machine starts to fill with water... and just continues the fill.

If I then disconnect the pipe and blow into the pressure switch (till I hear the 'click', the machine instantly stops taking in more water and the drum starts turning. If then I stop blowing, the machine stops and starts filling again.

When the water reaches the level of the bowl, there is a very slight trickle past the door seal. Suppose this might be allowing pressure to escape?

There is a single pipe from the lower rear of the drum to a 'tee-piece' one branch goes to the pressure switch, the other to the door lock mechanism. I have removed the tee-piece and connected directly to the pressure switch (the small piece of pipe connecting the tee to the pressure switch was kinked).

I suppose it might be worth replacing the hose in case it is damaged and I haven't seen it?

Looks the same diameter as car washer hose?

Cheers Breezer!

so what happens when you connect the hose direct to the pressure switch does it stop filling?

Also have you checked the pressure chamber? it is the thing attached to the main drum that the other end of the small hose is connected to. if it is blocked it will not work properly and so not activate the pressure switch.

When doing a tub change it was amazing how much crud you could find in one of them (pressure chamber)

breezer said:
so what happens when you connect the hose direct to the pressure switch does it stop filling?

No difference

breezer said:
Also have you checked the pressure chamber? it is the thing attached to the main drum that the other end of the small hose is connected to. if it is blocked it will not work properly and so not activate the pressure switch.

Yes, all clean.

Removed and checked the hose this morning, all fine.

Also stripped and checked door latch and catch this morning, loose screws and missing nut. All refitted and was looking promising... (thinking air leak) :cry: door doesn't leak now tho.

There are two adjustment screws on the pressure switch, one of which was only screwed in a couple of turns (I counted ;) ) presumably these are for calibration of pressure settings... :?: Have tried adjusting whilst the machine is filling, but to no avail...

What d'ya think, bite the bullet and order new pressure switch???

well if you are 100% sure the pressure chamber is empty and pipe is intact, i would agree with pressure switch, but get the same one as it has now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back