Hopefully a quick easy question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs just off the hallway, I have a WC.

One wall is literally the door from the hallway.
The other on the right is the party wall with my neighbour
The other opposite entry door is an outside wall, made of plaster board, timber joists, brick then harling.

The other however, is just plasterboard, timber joists, then wooden panneling.

As such, its freezing in there at winter as this wall is also the biggest (same size as the opposite party wall but this doesnt get cold)

My plan is to remove paneling, stuff full with insulation (rook wool?) foil sheet with duct tape to stop any draghts, and then re-panel and seal.

Question is, what should I use to seal up the wood panel sections , and also where the wood panel meets harling to stop the rain getting in etc etc Caulk?

Sponsored Links
craig - have you considered putting a heater in there? If you can pick-up some power when you've got the wall down, consider an electric tube heater (Screwfix do them for £20); one of these will keep the chill out of there. I'd try putting one in there before pulling the place apart to see if it improves matters.

Yup, might actully tie in the central heating as I have a spare radiator in the shed doing nought.

My only issue with this idea is I refuse to heat a room which gets SO cold, as i might as well throw money in the bin.

Honestly, touching the wall in question right now, its freezing, as its only plasterboard, then wood panelling.

Its that cold, that when I pee, steam comes off it!!!! SWMBO doesnt even use it at all becuase its too cold, all becuase of this crappy wall build.

Any ideas wht I can use to reselt the wood panelling back up with when i put it all back together to keep any rain out!

craig - if the offending wall is relatively small in area why not consider insulating it with buildiers foam. Good insulator, vapour barrier in one; a few cans could well do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Mmm... the wall is only 2m x 2x max. Is this similar to expanding foam, or something totally different?

craig - yep, same stuff. Apply temporary support to the stuff if squirting onto an un-enclosed space, otherwise remove as few panels as possible & squirt behind them to ensure complete covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back