hopper question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Little confused by building regs as regards hoppers. Part H states:

1.7 Branch pipes should discharge into another branch pipe or discharge stack unless the appliances discharge to a gully. Gullies are generally at ground floor level but may be at basement level. Branch pipes should not discharge into open hoppers.

On my current building I have what I think is an open hopper (located halfway up a wall that takes rain water from gutter and also my bath and basin waste. That then discharges into a downpipe and into what I think would be termed a gully. Its an open drain with a grill on it sort of thing.

Does this mean for an extension I am planning that any new waste from a new shower COULD NOT simply go into this already existing open hopper located half way up my wall. Im guessing answer is no but if anybody could confirm my understanding that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Providing its a single foul drain system then I think you can add another outlet to discharge into an existing hopper.

It might depend on the attitude of the local building inspector.

Tony

Have to second Tony on that. Hoppers are not allowed (unless for rainwater duties) unless as a direct replacement. They are unsanitary affairs when used for waste water, hence why they were phased out of use.

Building Control may allow it in view of existing arrangement, or they could be awkward and insist a stack is fitted to replace current arrangement and to accept new waste. If you've an existing cast stack taking the soil from the W.C. then this could well be the time to replace it and common all existing and proposed wastes into it. Leave rainwater arrangement in situ.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back