Horizontal cracks in blockwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm after some advise to remedy a problem I have. Not long moved into a house built in the eighties with block work internal walls and brickwork outer, the problem is a crack appears in the mortar joint of the top course of block work in one of the bedrooms during the summer only. This is probably due to the roof expanding as this corner is south east facing and thus gets most of the sun, the blocks are then pushed enough to open a crack approx 1mm wide and you can feel a step in the plaster surface. I have thought of chiselling the plaster back to the block work and screwing steel braces bridging the mortar joint on the top course thus bracing the top 2 courses together but I'm worried that the crack will then appear on the second course mortar joint. I have also thought of dot n dab plaster board on the effected corner and just allowing the movement to happen under the plaster board but this is more work as 2 walls are effected one of which has a window. If anyone has come across this problem and achieved an effective repair I'd be interested in what worked. Your comments are appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a "cure" but if the crack is near the ceiling line, light weight coving is fairly flexible fitted with a flexible adhesive it might take up the movement.

Not like the old polystyrene that shows the texture, modern stuff is very smooth and looks like plaster if well done.

footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back