Horrible gas fire…can i tart it up or should i replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I have a really old ugly gas fir in the dining room.
I enclosed a pic (ignore the plastic bag over the coals)
The back is all discoloured.
Is there anyway or tarting it up, or would it be easier to replace with electric?
The only prob I can see with elec is that the hole (?) is tapered and also theres which narrows the dimensions down, and there are some weird fin things at the top which narrow down the depth.
333C48A3-27E2-4AD1-A1F0-610B3016EEC2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Spray the frame with black stove paint and the fire brick with coal paint.
It’ll look like a new one.

Ooh, thanks. I hadnt heard of coal paint. Just another cheeky question here….should the back be painted black, or keep it stone coloured. Sorry I am useless with these things!

the back is the firebrick that Jeff suggested painting with coal paint I get the paint off ebay

Sponsored Links
the back is the firebrick that Jeff suggested painting with coal paint I get the paint off ebay
Oh i see, thankyou, am guessing coalpaint just comes in black then? Thanks ever so much

Even a real flame gas fire will be cheaper to run than an electric one.
you can tart that up quite well
or measure the opening and have a new gas fire installed

You make an excellent point there.
the thing that puts me off is there’s quite a bit of jiggery pokery to turn it on…theres a valve thing outside the house would you believe, and you turn that on first. Also all this sandy stuff seems to be coming out of the chimney. I’ve never had gas before hence wondering about it.
Really do appreciate all the input on here.
I have no one else to ask , so thanks

I shall indeed follow the advice. especially as you now inform me he is a queen of tarts.
Do you think its odd though, going outside to turn a tap on, then pulling the grate bit off turn it on, light a match. Then when you want it to off again you have to go outside and turn the tap off as the bottom of the grate one is too hot ?
Seems a lot of palaver to get a bit of heat?

I built a fake chimney breast in our house. Used a real fire backing but we fitted a decorative fire in it that is also a fan heater. Used it once when the heating broke in winter.

E252AB7D-A5C7-4F1D-AC9F-3CCD9EC85847.jpeg

40BEFFC8-BD5E-4FFF-AC6C-2E17A2237CDE.jpeg

I have an unused real flame fire (it’s broken) but the fire was controlled inside.
Even one my Mum had 40 years ago had a tap inside (on the side of the chimney breast) and you took your life in your hands lighting a match hopefully before the gas built up too much.
Modern ones have electronic ignition and even remotes.

They are more inefficient than other types but there are also ones that are behind glass and look more like wood burners than coal/log fires. They are intended for occasional use and still make more sense to me than patio gas heaters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back