Removing gas fire and blocking up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we currently have a gas fire which is on a really narrow 'fireplace' and i think is a class 2 pre cast flue type(house built in 2001)

We are thinking of having the gas fire removed (corgi registered gas company) and then blocking the hole up, I can find many articles on blocking up traditional fireplaces but not for this type flue and was wondering if someone help with the following questions.

1. Will an air vent be required
2. Plan to use plasterboard to fill, I'm the event we want to reinstall a new one fire in the future
3. If we install a 50 inch plasma on the wall is there anything we should consider re where the flue s located etc.
4 we are fully redecorating can. Will be able to chase the cables into the current plaster.
5. The depth of the current hole will be to narrow to use as shelves for sky box etc.
6 No capping requires as an ridge vent on the roof.

Thanks

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack but I am currently doing exactly the same thing and have exactly the same questions.

Did anybody ever give you a response to this and if so can you add here to help me.

Many thanks in anticipation.

1) Yes - vent required
2) Plasterboard is fine
3) Avoid drilling fixings into the flue area
4) Chase is fine for cables - conduit will enable a better finish but (unless it's a big conduit) you need to put the cables in place before plastering over as the fixed connectors are unlikely to fit through.
5) no idea what the question is!
6) Should be OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back