horrible squeeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my car makes a horrid noise when I move the steering wheel...does anyone know what it could be it's very embarrassing when Iam in a car park
thankyou
Cynthia

Sponsored Links
Power steering pump or belt is probably the cause, if it is the belt it may be just a case of tightening it or replacing the belt, if it is the pump then that will be more expensive, look at the belt first...other than that it could be a valve on the steering rack its self. Can you explain what kind of noise it is, screeching or grumbling....etc

Yes probably the belt, just check the power steering oil level when you have the bonnet up.
Can be quite embarrassing all right !!!!!!

first i have to figure out how to open the front...think i may just take it to the garage
thankyou for your help
Cynthia

Sponsored Links
Hi again Cynthia, ask a friend to give you some tips on simple maintenence, it could save you a lot of money. Garages are very expensive these days....

all my friends know very little about cars..how about you?

Hi again Cynthia, ask a friend to give you some tips on simple maintenence, it could save you a lot of money. Garages are very expensive these days....

Even consider getting a Haynes manual for your car. They aren't that dear and a really good read. Simplifies all maintenance tasks.

Surely you have someone who could help, maybe there is a local training establishment that do courses on vehicle maintenence, if you are that way inclined and would like to look after your car yourself then this would be a good option. The courses are not that expensive and are for an hour or so in the evenings.

Thankyou for all the advice a man has just shown me and told me I need a new belt and where to get one so Iam off to the shops...he said he would fit it for me this evening.
one again thankyou all
Cynthia
PS I may look at a simple beginers thingy at the local college

OK Cynthia, maybe while you are there they may do a course on house maintenence, you will then be able to do your loft then as well.... :)

Nice guy, put the kettle on when he does come to put the belt on for you.

I'm having a similar issue... not so much a squeeling as a grinding sort of noise. Fluid levels are good and there don't appear to be any leaks. My knowledge of cars is fairly limited to say the least; how do you tell if the belt is knackered?

Sponsored Links
Back