horror, the horror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An old house, bathroom walls: masonry and studding, leaning sloping bulging - the idea is to tile all walls. Figure i will dot and board, never having done it before( i can plaster, but speed speed).
Nightmare two days later sticking p/b on taking p/b off, bulges and leaning create 3-4 inch make-up's. By the time i had reached the first door casing the p/b was 2 ins diminishing to 1 inch proud, the window reveals likewise - i was so grateful to have plumbed across the window frame that i forgot to measure the reveals.
Now it's plumb and level but looking mighty weird.
Make me weep. How would you have gone about it?

Sponsored Links
Depending on the size of the room. If big enough think I'd have built false stud walls to straighten things up, insulate behind and allow for any pipework and drainage for the wash basin. Maybe a false ceiling to allow for an in-line ceiling extractor fan.

The new studword would also make it easier to mechanically fix aquapanel onto for the wet areas.

Anyway, just to upset you beyond belief, think I'll go for the question - did you use MR plasterboard?

i am writing this lying in a darkened room, the Mogadon has failed.
thanks dex, good suggestions and er, no, i didn't use MR p/b. i'm sure, really, that it doesn't matter. a dark foboding has just entered the room.
as a matter of interest, i started in the far corner from the main door and attempting to square the corners was the most mischievous difficulty; once two inside corners were squared across they had to be adjusted for the next set of corners and so on.

Sponsored Links
Why tile it all? It looks pretty 80s if you do. Modern paint can handle the wettest of bathrooms.

thank you all, i did consider battening out, but it would have pulled me out so far that, given i had two door frames and a w/f to consder, i figured that my way would be best. It wasn't. interesting point about painting, although decor was not my choice.

So that, say if someone is using the wc then the lodger can enter and use the bath, very 1960'ish.
the second door ( full size) is to an airing cupboard.

i am writing this lying in a darkened room, the Mogadon has failed.
thanks dex, good suggestions and er, no, i didn't use MR p/b. i'm sure, really, that it doesn't matter. a dark forboding has just entered the room.
Bit like "The Raven" Edgar Allen Poe :idea: Watch the Simpsons version :LOL:

Why tile it all? It looks pretty 80s if you do. Modern paint can handle the wettest of bathrooms.

Joe is our resident interior designer, a kinda Gok Wan of the bricks and mortar variety. Eat your heart out Sir Terrance.

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back