Horseman economy 7 timer not coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just moved into a new home with a Horseman Economy 7 Quartz hot water system. It worked perfectly for the first few days but now there is no hot water. If we use the boost option we get hot water, but otherwise the water does not seem to be heating up on a regular basis. I have tried turning the timer to see when the light comes on, so that I could find out at what time the heating should be happening, but the light did not come on at all.

This is all very new to me, so any advise about getting this working again?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably two immersion heaters in your hot water cylinder.

One at the base should be run off "Economy 7" tariff electricity, which only comes on between about midnight and around 06:00 (it varies a bit). Heats the whole tank at about 1/3 the cost of full rate electricity.

The boost function normally operates the top immersion heater. Full rate (or more) electricity so very expensive. Also only heats about 1/2 of the tank.

Make sure any switches for the immersion heaters are in the ON position, otherwise the Economy 7 will not be connected during the hours it is on.

The two switches are on, but the bottom immersion heater is clearly not working. We will try and replace the fuse and see if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Just took the fuse out and tested it. It is working fine, but now I can't get it to go back in again!

Ok, I have check both fuses and got them back in now.
I think the problem is with the timer, because the "off peak" light never comes on at any point when you turn the time control around, not even in the middle of the night as I would expects. I guess fixing the timer is best left to the professionals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back