Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz not heating water in timed mode

All sounds very familiar. Went to one of these a few weeks ago, after the Horstmann E7 programmer same model stopped heating on timed and no timed light showing. As in this case, it was still heating on boost. A new programmer solved it. If it was a burnt out immersion element, the timed light should still be lit. On removing the old programmer, one of the components on the timed circuit was a bit scorched, as was the surrounding plastic casing.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late response, the heater did work for a bit but not it's not working at all except for on boost. I've tried the settings ON and ALL DAY, and neither work. When I switch the dial to 3am, the heating light doesn't come up anymore.

Thanks Whitespirit, that may be my problem. Who did you call to have this replaced please?

Thanks Whitespirit, that may be my problem. Who did you call to have this replaced please?

I was the one who was called by my customer. Although I'm a plumber, it could possibly be more under the jurisdiction of a spark. Though if you have a friendly plumber/heating engineer, shouldn't be a problem for them.

Sponsored Links
Hi All, I read the post but I am a bit confused and not an expert. The horstmann economy 7 quarts timer that I have is not switching on in the last days and nobody touched it since years now.
So it is on 'timed' all the time to heat water during night time.
Unfortunately didn't work but this morning I tried to boost it and, even though the light should go on and it didn't, my wife confirmed she had hot water afterwards.
What could that be? a burnt fuse (if it has any)? or something else?

I have just realized that the timer clock is rotating with no issue.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back