Hose Pipe Help???????

That has to be the best tap contraption I have ever seen!!

What would be much easier would be to use that pipe to fit a proper outside tap to. Even with little DIY skills it will take you no more than a hour.

What you need is something called a wallplate elbow as shown in this link:


You will need to clean up the end of the pipe you have first with a bit of wire wool - or if its too near the ground you could shorten it first using a junior hacksaw to the required height (about 3ft off the ground is a good start point). If you do cut it you will need to remove the burrs (sharp edges) from the end of the pipe once you have cut it and clean the paint off to give you a good seal.

Once cleaned up dismantle the wall plate elbow by unscrewing the nut and keeping the olive (the copper or brass ring that is under the nut). Put the nut and olive onto the pipe and then screw the nut onto the wallplate elbow.

Do it up as tight as you can by hand and then turn the wallplate so the mounting flange is flat to the wall. Then mark the wall, drill it, insert some rawlplugs and screws and then screw the mounting flange to the wall. A point to remember is when marking the wall make sure the pipe is pushed into the fitting a far as it will go - as it will slide down the pipe if you aren't looking!

You will then need some suitable grips/spanners to do the nut up tight (or ask a neighbour to help!) but once 'nipped' up the olive will make a seal and stop water leaking out of the joint.

Once you have done that then you will need a garden tap like this:


The tap has a built in check valve to stop water from you garden (bucket, watering can etc) syphoning back into the pipe and contaminating the drinking water in the house.

and some PTFE tape like this:


Wrap some tape around the thread on the tap (start with say 5 turns of tape on the thread) and then screw the tap into the wallplate elbow until it it as tight as you can get it. It might take you several goes at this as the thickness of tape will determine the position of the tap. If the tap goes all the way in and 'hits' the wallplate before it is tight then you need more tape, but equally if the tap goes tight so you cant turn it to a vertical position then you have too much tape on the joint - so need less. Each time you take the tap off make sure you clean the old tape (that will be shredded) off the tap and the thread in the elbow so it is nice and clean before you start again. It is very much trial and error!

Once you have done that turn the water on in the bathroom and check for leaks. It it is leaking out of the compression fitting (the nut and olive) then do the nut up a bit tighter. If it is leaking out of the tap thread then you need more tape - in which case turn the water off, unscrew the tap and start that bit again!!

If you have no leaks the unscrew the nut and spigot off the end of the tap (and keep for a rainy day) and screw on one of these:


This is a brass one but most are plastic - either are fine. This fitting allows you to plug your hose straight onto your tap as you did in your original set up.

The whole thing can be obtained from Screwfix for less than a tenner - if you don't have a Screwfix near you then B&Q, Homebase etc will all do the same things but they will be a bit dearer.

You can then leave your inside tap switched on all the time and control the water using you newly installed outside tap.

One final point is that in winter (when there is a chance of the pipe freezing) switch off the bathroom tap to stop the risk of burst pipes.

All in all an hours work and no more running into the house every 2 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Firstly can I just say a HUUUUUUUUUGE thankyou for taking the time to explain that to me :eek:
Id already bought my hose when your email came through. I havnt tried it yet but your right about it still going to be awkward with the tap in the house.
Think this might be my next project, thanks again. :D
Sponsored Links
get a Hozelock one ( yellow) as I have found these to be the best on the market,you could still just fix an outside tap to you existing pipework with a small alteration, and just use the stop tap under the sink in winter to isolate the outer one,you can buy a complete kit from wickes or B&Q, for about £14,do'nt buy a cheap one, as they say, buy cheap, pay twice.good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local