Hosts file

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading the Double click thread and decided not to hi jack it so.....I have downloaded the hosts file but don't know if it is working.

How can you tell if it is doing its job pls? :)

Sponsored Links
I assume you downloaded the one from the site mentioned in there which came with a handy bat file to run?

To check if it is installed correctly do this:

Enter your Start menu. Goto RUN and type in "cmd". Hit OK. This will bring up a black box. Now type in "ping www.ad-up.com". Providing your machine is working well (I assume it is since you are reading this). You should see the following line :

Pinging www.ad-up.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

If you see that exact line you have installed the file correctly and it is doing it's job. If you see a different set of numbers rerun the "mvps.bat" file included in that zip you downloaded.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bron for your help and it is working correctly as you said.

Does this mean that I will not get any more spyware? :D

Thanks Bron for your help and it is working correctly as you said.

Does this mean that I will not get any more spyware? :D

Sadly no. You need to keep proactive software such as Spybot and Ad-Aware live on your system to combat newly developed threats. That host file will not stop you downloading KNOWN programs with spyware/malware in them -- but it WILL stop them contacting home with your information. That host file was last updated about 2 weeks ago, so it's pretty safe to say most common threats will be covered in that hosts file. But it's not clever and it's not a way to detect threats. It's just nice to have if your system is crawling with spyware. The absolute best way to deal with it is to run software to eredicate the problem, which the host file does not.

Here is a list of (mostly free) Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware recommended software :

Ad-Aware - Free, Depending on version - The other of the best malware detectors and cleaners out there.

Avast AntiVirus - One of the only virus scanners proven to detect all known viruses and trojans. Avast! Antivirus 4 Home Edition is free for personal use.

AVG Anti-Virus - Free - It's antivirus! It's free! The Pro-version ($30 for 2 years) is absolutely worth the money, but is not necessary for most users.

Bazooka Scanner - Adware Spyware tool. Dosnet remove them, but gives you a link with tutorials on how to remove each one it finds (I use this as a redundant check after runing Avast, or Spyware Doctor)

ClamWin - a Free Anti-virus software for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and 2003.

Spybot Search & Destroy - Free - One of the best malware detectors and cleaners out there.

Spyware Doctor - Shareware ($30), Freeware Version can only *scan* - Yet Another Spyware Utility.

Having modded your hosts file will also stop a lot of advertisements when you go on websites as well!

Modified, ie. it's been changed from the default, which basically does nothing.

Bahco - I would in no way have considered that you were hi-jacking if you had joined the 'Double-click' thread. I honestly don't see how it can be considered hi-jacking if someone is asking sensible questions directly related to the topic. It can only help IMHO ! I have benefited from your thread too, so thank you.

Perry

Sponsored Links
Back