Hot Air System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, :)

I have found a house that we would like to buy however it has a hot air heating system with vents in every room !

The energy rating is E. I am awaiting the energy report to be sent to me to find out more info.

Obviously this will have a factor on how much I offer for the house as I'm thinking it would need to be replaced and have a new combi boiler /system/radiators.

Does any one have any advice on this? I have had one quote for about £6000 to replace everything although this is an approx amount.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
What is the heat source for the hot air heating? Gas or electric? If electric do you know if there is a gas service available?

Does the heating work as far as you know? If it does then I would say you don't really have much to complain about when making your offer. If you've been told it doesn't work then that's a different matter so go ahead and bargain.

If I was selling my house I wouldn't entertain a lower offer just because you didn't like my heating system.

It does have gas as the cooker is run off gas. Not sure what the heating is run off, will find out.

It's funny how many people how thrown their hands up in horror at the idea of the warm air heating and told me that I will have to replace it! Mind you the owners living there have had it for 23 years so I'm thinking it can;t be that bad?

But the energy rating is pretty poor compared with my current house which is a C so I'm assuming the bills will be higher etc.

They also don't have a thermostat on the hot water tank so wondering how that temperature is controlled and why they don't have one as they are cheap?

So much I don't know lol, my dad is giving me some advice on what to ask as I'm clueless ;)

As far as I know the heating system works and they said they had the boiler serviced last year altho not seen any paperwork confirming that

An 'E' energy rating is not the end of the world for sure. I used to be an assessor so I can assure you there are plenty of properties at this level and many a lot worse, especially if all electric. As you say the current owners have used it so I wouldn't condemn it until you've used it, assuming you do end up buying. I don't see it as grounds for a significant reduction in price. If the hot air system is run on gas then it need not be as horrendous as people make out.

If you're current property is 'C' rated then you're doing well and I assume it is a fairly recent build. Presumably you're upsizing so bills will be higher anyway and I guess it's a slightly older property so not up to current insulation standards. But still nothing to get over-excited about.

Sponsored Links
The thermostat for the hot water will be in the circulator attached to the warm air unit.

I would say that the type of heating is probably already reflected in the asking price.

If you decide to go further with buying, I suggest you get a qualified rgi to inspect the flue integrity first. Even just by doing a flue flow test with a smoke bomb.
I work on a fair few warm air units and often find there are problems at the joints or ridge tiles in loft due to movement.
If its spilling products of combustion into the property then its classed as immediately dangerous and the gas will be turned off to the appliance one way or another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back