hot and cold pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's what I know; bit longwinded but here goes; gradual fall off in mains pressure to point where water tank in loft drained of all water. Mains pressure problem found today to be water board problem with leak between main stop cock in pavement to mains in middle of road; no problem there then as they will dig up the road, tomorrow they say and fix the leak....I'll wait and see. A trickle of water to house maintained but not enough pressure to pucsh it to loft so, I rig up a pump and stick it in an idle well that I happen to have laying around in the garden and pump water to loft; good pump as it is about 10 meters up from bottom of well. Header tank soon fills but still no hot water and no mains water pressure to back up any air lock so I attach hose connected to pump to a hot water tap and achieve pertial success with temporary return of hot water but soon dying to a trickle;
Here's what I don't know; if debris and stuff from the header tank has got into the hot water system when it drained down, how do you get it out? Will it block up taps and valves as it swills around the system or is there some point in purging the system (and how) or cleaning it out? Thanks for giving this a read and any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
You should have pumped a few hundred litres out of your idle well first as that could be very stagnant and full of harmful bacteria that I would not want to shower under. Not so bad once its heated to about 55° but avoid the cold!

Its unlikely any debris has come out of the water main or the tank unless it was prettyy dirty. Usually its only soft anyway.

Almost certainly the problem is an air lock. You seem to have a good idea of how to deal with that but when ( if ) it starts flowing run a lot of water to the lowest hot tap to encourage the flow.

Tony

Any debris like flakes of limescale should enter the cylinder at the bottom and then settle at the bottom on the cylinder

You shouldnt have any floating debris if you have a lid on your tank. However i've seen bits of foam insulation get into the hot water system through carelessness and cause blockages

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back