Hot bitumen shed roof

pff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never done any roofing before that will become obvious.
New shed, single pitch roof around 4x3m using osb3 sheets. Angle is perhaps 1 in 6ish i think.
Thing is I have a cylinder of oxidized bitumen in the garage from an unrelated project years ago, presuming i can avoid hurting myself i was thinking about melting it down and just spreading it around the roof. I'm assuming I could spread it out and roll felt onto it, just like a slightly more dangerous version of using the cold stuff in tins to stick it down? Or i suppose the end result is like torch on stuff, but I don't have a big roofing torch. Or let it cool/set and then nail on top as usual?
I've never seen this discussed before so I'm confident it's a terrible idea, if someone could explain why I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Inspirational.

This is one of those drunken "climb an electricity pylon naked" moments, that seem perfectly rational at the time.

But to answer the question, it's a terrible idea because .... you don't seem to have a clue.

Sponsored Links
anythin that involves flame, roofs an wrong stuff is a bad idea.
flame stays on the ground.

Inspirational.
It's a terrible idea because .... you don't seem to have a clue.
Well that's why I'm here asking. But really i was hoping someone would explain it. Sorry if it's too obvious I'm just not seeing it.

Traditional "pour and roll" felting is where bitumen is heated in a boiler until it reaches temp (approx 220 deg), then poured (from a bucket with a spout) in front of a pre-cut and aligned strip of felt, and the felt is unrolled over the pool of hot bitumen, ensuring bitumen covers the whole area and also that some escapes the edges as you go. The felt needs to be pushed down tightly as you go, and you need to get your feet off the laid felt really quickly or they stick to it. The hot bitumen bonds with (and semi-melts) the bitumen in the felt thus adhering well. It's an art you almost definitely won't be any good at without practice.
If you just melt some bitumen and spread it around the roof it'll run/sag in the heat, and crack/shrink in the cold.
If you let it set a bit you could theoretically lay your felt on top but you won't have proper adhesion, and you won't have sealed lap edges.
If you let it set, then torch your felt on - it would work better (except the lap edges) but if you're going to do that then use the proper felt in the first place.

• Thanks
Reactions: pff
Ignore the pessimists. You have a great idea, some free gear and a can do attitude. Just make sure from a health and safety perspective you lay some feathers at the base of your shed in case you fall. Don’t go all Rod Hull on us.

Pilsbury, you should know better. Or are you waiting for a new 'shout' for a burning shed?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back