Hot cold water supply to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i hope everyone is doing well.

Im wondering if someone can please advise me the best way to take hot and cold water supply to the front garage.

We have a cold water supply running to the upstairs which is easily accessible at the ground level hence connecting to that would not be a problem.

The hot water feed however will be difficult to take from downstairs as the nearest hot water pipe is at quite a distance away.

I was wondering as our upstairs bathroom is directly above the garage, is it possible to take the connection from upstairs and bring it back in the garage? I'm unsure if this will impact the flow negatively hence would be so greatful for your advice.

Thankyou so much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it for a sink in the garage? Taking the hot feed from the bathroom above will be fine.

Thank, out of interest, I'm just curious to know should the water supply pipes remain 15mm through out the house or is it normal to upsize for the upstairs?

Currently we have a 15mm pipe cor both the hot and cold going upstairs

Sponsored Links
I'm just curious to know should the water supply pipes remain 15mm through out the house or is it normal to upsize for the upstairs?

No set rules really, it depends how many outlets, pipe lengths, flow rate required etc. etc.

15mm is fine for a sink, only a bath needs 22mm.

How much hot water will you be using in the garage ?

When the hot tap in the garage is turned on the cool/cold water in the pipe to the hot tap has to be run of until hot water has filled the pipe and reached the hot tap

If it is a long pipe run to the hot tap in the garage then to get a litre of hot water into the basin a significant amount of heat will be used to fill the pipe with hot water.

When the tap is turned off the hot water in the pipe water will start to cool down.

It may be more economical to use a small electric "under sink" water heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back