Hot rads downstairs cold rads upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem on a heating system with hot rads downstairs and cold rads upstairs its totaly baffling me.

The system has a total of 11 rads, 6 upstairs and 5 down. The system is fitted to an open flued Glow Worm floor mounted boiler which has been their for years heating the house ok.

Last week suddenly all the rads up stairs stopped working so i checked the usual things: Water in f+e tank, Water to all upstairs rads, Pump working and no heat before up stairs rad valves.

The system is fitted out in 10mm pipework and the attic has been converted into a bed room with 2 rads in that room, in this same room are 3 small tanks: f+e and 2 other tanks which are plumbed in at the same level as the rads. (hope this makes sense).

Most of the pipework has been boxed in by false walls so its hard to trace at which point the hot water flow reaches. I was wondering if this system could have been fitted with a check valve somewhere in the system and is seized shut or are check valves only fitted to a gravity fed system. The only other thing i can think of is if their is muck in the system blocking the water flow due to the small pipework used.

Any ideas on what it could be would be appreciated, thanks

Forgot to mention the cistern tank is fitted in the bathroom

Sponsored Links
It makes my girlfriend scream and she never complains so i assume its big enough lol.

But more about the plumbing side lol, well the header and is just above the two radiators in the attic bedroom which is about 3 foot, i know this is low but the system was working perfectly until last week when the heating upstairs suddenly stopped working.

Sponsored Links
I thought that so ive fitted a brand new pump and still the same, like i siad the only thing i can think of is the system is blocked with sludge or an air lock. Might be better to get a power flush to remedy the problem. Expensive but i have tried everything else i can think with no joy.

As soon as i saw the microbore stuff my heart sank, it gives nothing but problems when the system gets old with sludge build up.

Like i have already asked could their be a check valve on the system that has seized shut but on me looking couldnt see one.

Im more of a gasman than a plumber so excuse the ignorance

kevplumb said:
you could try shotting the main thro it with the drain open
hope you joined ARGI :LOL:

By this i assume you mean from mains tap to rads and drain off vior rad drain off valve. Only problem is their are no drain off valves fitted except one fitted to the glow worm boiler. so that would be a problem.

lets be fair you have two choices start pulling things to bits or live with it if you where at work how would you explain it to the client?

kevplumb said:
lets be fair you have two choices start pulling things to bits or live with it if you where at work how would you explain it to the client?

Ok kev thanks for the advice, will start playing a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back