Hot Tank Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, this is probably a dumb question but will ask anyway.

I have removed the old hot tank from our bathroom to re situate it in a cupboard next to the bathroom (about 3 metres away from origional position) the pipes that enter the internal tank central heating coil have two outlet pipes that go straight up to the attic, one is 15mm (I assume this is water in to central heating system) and the other is 22mm (I assume this is overflow and steam release), my question is do these two pipes have to be next to the hot tank, or can I keep the piping as is and just extend the pipes to the new tank about 3 metres away?

Slainthe

Sponsored Links
It depends on whether or not your system is fully pumped.

If it is, then you must place the cold feed just before the pump, and the vent just before that.

If it isn't, then it's not as important as arranging for a continual rise in pipework from the boiler to the cylinder, but the cylinder move is an opportunity to make it fully pumped.

The pump is miles away downstairs next to the boiler in the utility room, it seems to be the continual rise in pipework setup. Thanks for the advice.

Slainthe

That doesn't tell me whether or not it's fully pumped though.

And the advice about the continual rise was intended to be in the context of you adding 3 horizontal metres of pipework!

Sponsored Links
Sorry my mistake the central heating system is pumped round by a pump next to the main boiler, which takes the water in and pumps it round the central heating circuit only, the pump is not required for hot water which I assume is gravity fed, it was origionally done in the 1960's, I got the continual rise thing after I had replied, my mistake.

Slainthe

OK. If it's gravity then your additional run should be in 28mm tube.

Excellent, Thank you so much for your help, BIG weight of my mind, I kind of thought it would be okay but just wanted to check, Again many many thanks.

Slainthe

Er, you might want to remove that bit of free advertising.

Oops my bad, did not realise was not a done thing, However I should say your advice was excellant and I changed everything over last night and it all worked perfectly, very rewarding feeling and thank you again.

Slainthe

You've done rather well to do all that in one evening. Methinks this isn't the first plumbing you've ever done. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back