Hot Tub Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 40a MCB in my consumer box which was used to feed an electric shower, 10mm2 Cable. I know longer use the electric shower and was wondering if I could use the cable from the electric shower to connect to a hot tub.

The 10mm2 cable is in the wall chase next to my bathroom, I planned to pull the cable down under the floorboards and use a 60a connector inside an enclosure to connect with 6mm2 Twin and E, run this cable under the floorboards to the outside wall and connect to a 32amp Isolator switch, then run 6mm2 armoured cable from the external wall under ground to hot tub. I would also change the MCB from 40a to 32a Type C on the consumer box. Does this sound reasonable?

I would like to have run the cable direct from the consumer box and not have to join the cable, but where the consumer box is situated is very difficult to access. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with joints as long as they're properly done either accessible or maintenance-free types. That 10mm is probably oversize for a reason (unless its a really short run), you need to do some volt drop calcs rather than just chucking random numbers at the job. According to the letter of the law it probably wouldn't be notifiable work but certainly in the spirit it would be a new circuit- either way it needs specifying and testing properly. Being an outside device RCD protection would be required. Well worth getting an electrician involved in the design phase, they'll be quite happy (usually) to let you dig the trench and fish about under the floor, leave them terminate the SWA, mess with the CU and give you a tested and notified installation.

Nothing wrong with joints as long as they're properly done either accessible or maintenance-free types. That 10mm is probably oversize for a reason (unless its a really short run), you need to do some volt drop calcs rather than just chucking random numbers at the job. According to the letter of the law it probably wouldn't be notifiable work but certainly in the spirit it would be a new circuit- either way it needs specifying and testing properly. Being an outside device RCD protection would be required. Well worth getting an electrician involved in the design phase, they'll be quite happy (usually) to let you dig the trench and fish about under the floor, leave them terminate the SWA, mess with the CU and give you a tested and notified installation.

thanks for the feedback, the circuit is protected with RCD. I did reach out to an electrician, but they wanted £500, £300 of which is labour which I find extreme. I will take your advice and look at running the cables and get a quote for the connections.

Sponsored Links
There is a problem with items outside with earthing methods, in the main outside appliances are class II so don't need an earth, although one is always run, but this is not really a DIY job. In fact in Wales where I live it requires notifying to LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back