hot tub shelter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are currently raising money for a hydro pool (hot tub) for my daughter. She is wheelchair bound and can no longer walk or transfer.
Her hips are both out of sockets and cause her considerable pain. Water s the best and only relief she has.
I would love some opinions as to how to shelter it best. I had thought a full on summer house, waterproofed with bells and whistles. But am now leaning towards building a gazebo type structure for shade and shelter with maybe some reed style sides.
I already have a concrete base around 5 X 5 Meters currently used for trampoline to be used in corner of garden. Fenced on two sides.
I am looking for designs suitable for this, the concrete drains well in the rain, would tub be ok freestanding on it? Also as concrete already down, (5 years) would structure be fine freestanding?
What has changed my mind from enclosing fully is seeing how many others have exposed tubs, I do want it to be used all year as much as weather permits.
Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Keven

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, I wasn't very clear in my post tbh, when I said gazebo I meant a wooden structure I could build. 4 legs of 4x4's and roof structure, or 6x6's.
As freestanding needs to be solid design.
Need to fit hoist in some how. Not sure whether floor mount or ceiling track yet?
I'm yet to try marking out but think at 5x5 it should be plenty of room. Tub around 2x2m.
Would like space to build little bench, possibly some kind of removable/ retractable sides on one or two of them.
I'm having problems with design as I am asking a lot from it. As prob be around 4 by 4 big it will be a beast.

I've yet to use a hot tub in a fully enclosed room but I would imagine it could get unbearably hot/humid if the heat created has no place to escape. It might mean that you could operated the hot tub a lower temperature, you'd have to ask a pro about that TBH.

From my experience, I've used three different hot tub set ups - one totally open with no cover at all, one simple timber structure built onto a rear wall with bamboo type screening material for the roof and one purpose built timber gazebo with a hole in the roof.

IMG_5008.JPG IMG_6611.JPG IMG_6612.JPG

The open one was great when the weather was good but rubbish for privacy with neighbours. I wouldn't go for that option.

The simple timber structure was OK but a year on and the roofing material is in really bad shape. The frame was super simple though and it wouldn't cost a lot at all. You could beef up the timbers to add a hoist I'm sure.

The last one was my favourite. It's still a simple structure that has been dressed up nicely to add a little privacy. The boarding for the roof is a cheap option (especially if you've ever thought of using cedar shingles £££) and the centre cut out allowed the heat from the hot tub to dissipate nicely. When you're using a hot tub it's nice to get fresh cool air to balance the heat from the water and rising steam so having an opening above worked the best in my opinion. Also, on a night it's nice to look up and see the stars. Unfortunately, if it rains then you'll get a little wet - but that's not always a bad thing. In the open air one we used it once when it was pouring down with rain and it was lovely - not that I do it all the time but a different hot tub experience.

Your 5 x 5 building or even 4 x 4 sounds huge. Don't worry about having access all the way around the hot tub, just ensure you have a suitable means to get in and out with the lifting equipment. The biggest hot tub is about 2.5m so you could do 3m wide by 4m deep and still have plenty of room to manoeuvre.

Sponsored Links
IMAG0416.jpg
Thank you angelboy,
This is the base and view I have, as you can see privacy is the main goal here, and with the size of base already down why it will probably be freestanding. I like the idea of a vent in roof. Do you think moisture would be a problem with apex without gap?
I do like the simple rustic look of third picture, how do you go about getting main beam in place?

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 306
I bet the hot tub suppliers have lots of photos of how others have done it.

The size of that gazebo is only about 3x2 so the ridge beam isn't really doing anything. I think they could have got the same effect with opposing rafters, especially as that structure is not really carrying any weight at all.

For you, the main thing to consider is the weight to carry the hoist. You could put a central support column on the gable elevations to take the ridge beam, which could go all the way to the ground. Construct four corner posts, then add another two at each gable end, fix your top plate then you could have a short support directly above taking the ridge. As you're building straight off the slab you could get 100x100 2.4m posts which would go right up to the ridge in one. You could do away with the extra support to the ground if you beef up the timber beams or double up on them.

As far as privacy, you have two fences there already and the eaves height won't be too far off them so it mainly just one side that you can either clad or fix panels as in the first image.

One thing is for sure, building one is far far cheaper than buying a ready made one from a hot tub store.

As far as moisture, I'm not sure. Most I've seen are vented in some way but as I've said, I think that's mainly for comfort. I've just been looking today on ways to create a removable roof or section so that it gives extra flexibility and therefore additional usability. Not easy, but I'll figure it out!

I'd love to see how you manage that! Surley have to be a soft top version?
Im going to use 6x6 posts for looks and strengh. Thinking of bolting 6x2's round top and for rafters, May bolt posts down with metal post supports. And featheredge two sides and top. May see if I can salvage some kind of chimey to make it quirky.
And yes, much cheaper, as can do it bit by bit as funds allow.
As for hoist, not sure what we can get yet, track would be best but would worry about weight. Although I'd prob go overboard so would take car of that.
I get ya with support posts.

I built something like that for a customer about eight years ago. I used 4x4 posts and made a hipped roof. It was about 3m x 5m. It worked really well. Customer loved it.

I have salveged the drum and window from dead tumble dryer, made a fire pit from drum and would like to use window as I porthole in this build.
And ideas how to mount it? I'm thinking jigsaw a round brace to fit it on, but not sure whether it will work very well?

This is what I have ended up with, first time I have attempted something like this, but am very pleased with result.
I welcome any constructive criticism.
Am not to sure how to approach the sides yet but can work on that now it's up.
IMAG0461.jpg
IMAG0463.jpg IMAG0458.jpg

Thank you, will do
I am going to be covered in bees next week, thousands of em to raise money for it. I hate bees. I bloody hate bees.
Did I mention bees... Not keen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back