Diy hot tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm just in the process of building a bedroom extension at the rear of my property and would like a hot tub in front of the patio doors I intend to build it myself out of blockwork and concrete finished with tiles and decking.
Am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of project and could give me any pointers.
I'm also interested in looking at ways to heat it using solar energy.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think... Go for it.

Hot tubs are supposed to be kept hot, so it'll need to be exceptionally well insulated, all round, and have a insulated cover etc.

Either that, or do a drainable one that's basically like a mini swimming pool for use just in summer that you can cover up when not in use.

The mechanics of building the things is not too difficult but the plumbing must be spot on.

Given that hot tubs now have the status of water beds, in southern California - where tubs first took off.
Their fallen reputation is down to the possible alarming health issues, and their cost in energy and water.

Why you would want to risk your families health and any passing neighbours well being? The invisible, fine drizzle spray is often the worst health culprit, it can waft over fences and walls.
Plus, the constant cleaning, filtering and testing soon bite into the notion of a leisured activity. Many owners now use maintenance companies to service the tubs.

Sponsored Links
dont forget to build a concrete cheese fondue stand in the middle yeh?!

: )

No point trying to heat it with solar.

Yes theoretically you could hook up some solar panels, which wire into a battery and heating system.

But whilst the solar panels will be there 100% of the time, how often will you actually need to heat it? Unless the battery can also be used to power something else as well, waste of capacity, may as well just feed back into the grid.

Would make more sense to make a wood fired boiler to heat the water, this would also allow you to heat it very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back