hot water basis tap pressure low, all other hot taps fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

hope somebody can help me. I have just bought and installed a bathroom basin and mono tap in an upstairs bathroom. Before installation of the mono mixer waterfall tap, the hot water pressure was fine all over the house, and in the bathroom. Now the pressure of the hot water in the bathroom is a trickle, yet the hot water taps elsewhere all work fine. any suggestions?

Tracey.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that the bath taps are still your old ones and are still working correctly, is that right?

Then the pressure is unchanged but you have restricted flow at the basin because you have fitted a small tap with small internal waterways, and quite likely miniature stub pipes the size of a pencil.

not much water can flow through a small hole.

Could be an air lock if its effecting the bathroom only, ie bath and basin both being effected !!

Hi there,

no the hot water tap on the bath works fine (which the basin is beside), as do the rest of the hot water taps in the house. As for the 1st reply, the cold water coming out of the tap is coming out fast and strong, whilst the hot water is weak and slow, so just wondering if there is likely to be an internal valve in the tap that needs adjusting?

Sponsored Links
Make sure there are no kinks in the supply pipe and also some rubbish may have partially blocked that side,,,, disconnect that feed pipe and blow up it to see how free it is,, or remove the cartridge and check inside... I doubt there is anything you can adjust on the tap

do you have gravity hot water system ?
you've probably fitted a mains pressure tap which requires 1 bar to operate a good flow.
thats why your cold is good it's mains pressure.
if your hot is gravity it will only be 0.3 bar approx so will give poor flow .
what does the instructions say the operating pressure of the tap is ?

it says on the web site that the tap pressure should be 1bar minimum,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330207694035

but if it worked with the old taps why would the new ones make a difference? Sorry for being thick :) I just haven't done this sort of thing before. Is there anything i can do to fix the problem?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
1bar water pressure is easily achieved (and more) from the water main.

however if hot water supply comes from a loft tank it needs to be 10 metres above the tap to achieve this.

Most are not

Your wierd and stylish tap is not designed to give good flow on UK tank supplies.

What you can do, is fit an ordinary UK tap with nice big pipes and waterways which will give a good flow.

Sorry.

p.s. the pop-up waste will probably leak as well.

hmm not good, as the sink I have fitted only has one tap hole an being ceramic its gonna stay like that. Can i get a monotap that will work thats not as weird and stylish lol?

how do I pump the hot water, is it literally a pressurised pump or can i get an attachment that increases the pressure?

you can get monotap that will work better on gravity operating at 0.5 bar and still be stylish which will give better flow but not as good as your cold.
but when do you use a basin tap on full flow.

but you really need a tap that operates at 0.1 bar to get a really good flow but they are hard to find in the up to date styles.

If ypou get a single impeller pump and fit it on the hot water outet from the cylinder but make sure you follow instructions whe to cut into the hot supply

you can fit a pump to give you over 1bar.
fit a pump on your hot supply from your cylinder. but they don't come cheap and everytime you run a tap your pump will be humming in the airing cupboard.

well guys your help, advice and knowledge has been fantastic, althoough I'm a bit gutted that its gonna cost me lots of money to sort if I keep that tap!!! Might as well cut my losses and get a different tap. I might be cheeky and send a picture of a different tap to this link to see if that will work better before I actually buy it :) Failing that I might marry a plumber as I'm gonna stick to painting my nails and flicking my hair in future lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back