Hot water being back flowing into Cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be extremely appreciated. I have an indirect heating system. A few days ago the large cold water tank overflow started to leak. Given that I had the ball-cock replaced 6 months ago I kinda knew it was not the problem - it was not.

When the water is being heated on its own it is raising the water level in the large cold water tank up to a point where it overflows down the pipe at the roof eves.

This happens over a period of a 90 mins (water is only heated for 20 mins). Having looked in the tank I can see that water is being backfilling the large cold water tank not via the open vent pipe but the pipe at the bottom of the tank where the cold water should flow to the Cylinder.

When the hot water is off (not heating water) the large cold water tank level remains as it should.

Any ideas why this is happening???? I have had no new taps or mixers installed and this has only happened (as far as I know) in the past few days

Sponsored Links
Well, I would be double checking that's the problem first by isolating both the heating and the hot water systems and draining the cylinder and seeing if the heating drains too.

Then, if proven to be the problem, change the cylinder as asap.

Sponsored Links
Might be worth posting your location and see if one of the regular posters are nearby. Changing a cylinder is not a massive job, but if you've eliminated mixers and showers, there aren't many other options. One of my guys is attending an identical problem on Tuesday, last time it was the ball valve, but this time it's probably the cylinder.... And in this lady's case it's not going to be cheap as it's a big house and a mahooooosive cylinder.

Thanks again, I am based in Newcastle Upon Tyne - Denton Burn (if I need to post it somewhere else please let me know)

How far below the overflow is the level when cold? If it is high, then expansion whilst heating water may be overflowing. If it does not happen when cold, then I would first adjust the ball valve to lower the cold level and see if the problem goes away.

thanks oilhead it is about 5/6 inches when "normal". Water is being backfilling the large cold water tank at the pipe at the bottom of the tank where the cold water should flow to the Cylindernot and not via the open vent pipe

It only back fills when the hot water is turned off and it is not used straight away. If it is not used over 90 - 120 mins it starts to raise and come over the over fill level out the over flow pipe. 5his is only in the large cold water tank. The smaller tank (full of discoloured water - the one that gets pushed round the heating) is uneffected.

Last edited:
I have a imersion back up (in case of boiler brakedown) but I have never used it

probably Dans right coil split in cylinder I take it the f&e tank is higher in the loft than the dhw header tank check the f&e tank overflow is not connected to the dhw over flow and backfilling from that.
Cheers mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back