Hot water blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told by two plumbers that I have a blockage in my hot water system. I've got both central heating and hot water and the heating is working all right but the hot water doesn't heat up at all unless I turn off all the radiators. The general thought is that the system needs to be drained, flushed to clear out the blockage and refilled.

I happy to pay a fair price for a fair job but without knowing enough about the general process I feel that some unscrupulous tradesman may take advantage!

Could somebody provide some guidelines or 10 easy questions that I can ask so I have a rough idea of what's going on and what to expect?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
10!!

Haven't you had a 'rough idea of what to expect' from them ?

Why two plumbers? Did you not trust the first one? Does the fact that two presumably independent ones have told you the same thing not make you think that there is a possibility that they may actually be giving you good advice? Seems to me like you've been spending too much time watching Rogue Traders - most of us are not like that.

There is a possibility that a zone valve has started to give up the ghost, although I would have thought at least one, if not both, of them would have checked this and eliminated it as a potential cause of the problem.

I am like that, do you have a tank I can **** in, and or any old relatives want any work doing :evil:

Edinburgh, no, I will noooooooooo be having a sale, (wrings hands)

Sponsored Links
The first one came out and said that's what he thought it was and got the hot water working for a time. When I called back to say they problem wasn't sorted as the water was no longer hot he stopped returning my calls all together.
The second guy came out and again thinks that may be the problem but he can't say definitely. He needs to see where the drain valve is to drain the system which unfortunately I have no idea where it is and the only thing he could suggest is looking under floor boards. Unfortunately I've just had carpets put down so was a bit reluctant to lift them without knowing what was involved.
I appreciate each system is different so no guarantees but loathed to take up carpets to find a value to drain and flush a system without an idea of what kind of money is involved. Neither plumber could give me an indication of price as neither sure what they would find.
Sorry if I've offended, I'm not trying to suggest that all plumbers are out to take us for all they can get but when I don't have a plumber that has been recommended I hate going in completely clueless.

There is a possibility that a zone valve has started to give up the ghost, although I would have thought at least one, if not both, of them would have checked this and eliminated it as a potential cause of the problem.

yup would have to go along wiv that

vickist
don't worry about offending pedantic he has a hide like an elk :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back