Hot water / boiler not switching off!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an old Baxi bolier which is controlled by a horstman 425 diadem timer switch. I have a british gas service agreement but they don't cover me for anything to do with the wiring as they state that both the water/heating are wired to the same valve! Meaning you have to have both on and cannot isolate the heating.
Anyway now the timer has stopped working and the hotwater light/switch will not go off. British Gas have suggested manually turning the boiler down to off at the boiler, running only the pilot light. This is doing my head in as I want to be able to time it so it is doing what it should be. I cannot afford a new boiler atm, and don't want to pay British Gas the 75quid an hour to inspect old one. Does anyone have any ideas as its costing me a fortune in heating bills having the boiler on constantly to heat the house for the wife and kids!

Please
Cammy

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with this timer but a google for "Horstmann 425 Diadem" came up with new units for around £40 and they plug in to a standard backplate, so hopefully will be very easy to replace.

Could it be as simple as that. The boiler/timer is very tempremental and will sometimes go off with the timer - the engineer from BG said it was because the heating and hot water were wired to the same valve, therefore I doubted that it was the actual timing switch.

if a components kanckerd the w=eng will change it. or are you on a service only contract?

Sponsored Links
In theory, Yes they should as I am on a service contract BUT they have said that anything to do with the wiring of boiler isn't covered as 'it isn't up to standard' ie the water and heating are both wired to the same valve. So because of this I am not covered and they say it isn't the timer switch but something to do with the wiring of it.

It seems strange that it was occasionally working, ie coming on at 8am, going off at 10am, then on at 4pm off at 6pm. This would happen for days, weeks even then it wouldn't go off... then a day or two later it would do the cycle and click off... HURRRRAAHHHH.

But now it's constantly on and the only way I can turn it down/off is at the actual boiler!

Any advice gratefully accepted...

So what I'm really asking is it defo the timer or could it be a valve or something else???????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back