Hot water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping someone might have some ideas!

Tried to put my heating on for the 1st time this autumn last night & nothing happened.

I have hot water and if I run it the boiler fires and heats more, so the boiler would appear to be working OK.

I turned the radiators on and pressed the temperature up button on the thermostat until it clicked and the flame symbol appeared meaning it's asking for the heating to come on, but the boiler won't fire for this & I've no heat from the radiators.

I've tried running the hot water until the boiler fires and turning the thermostat up but the heating still doesn't come on.

Beside my hot water tank are 2 pumps which are both hot.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably one pump is for hot water & one for heating. The heating one may be stuck. If it has a large screw in the end of the motor, remove the screw and twiddle the motor with a smaller screwdriver. There may well be an anti-gravity or flowcheck valve above the pump. This may be stuck, in which case a judicious thump with a hammer may free it.

Hi Mick - 2 pumps:

P1000031.jpg

P1000032.jpg

Sponsored Links
looks like a thermal store, one pump circulates the heat from boiler to cylinder, the other does cylinder to rads, which is the one that is likely to have seized up over the summer months

OMG you guys are brilliant!

Had a look at the pipes and the blue pump ones only go to the tank while the red ones connect to the pipes disappearing upstairs.

Took the front off and a bit of water came out so quickly screwed on again!

Gave it a good thump, went back downstairs, turned the heating on again & bingo, the boiler's fired and there's heat coming through the radiators!

Thank you sooooo much!

(from a dumb blonde who's useless at fixing things and is feeling quite chuffed at the minute).

Cheers
:D

HERTSDRAINAGE2010";p="1747359 said:
And not an end feed fitting insight.

Haven't got a clue what that is! but it doesn't surprise me that it's missing. These are fairly new houses and the builder has used whatever he's had/end of range stuff. Every pipe under my sink is a different size & several of my neighbours have had to had the central heating and/or pipes replaced (they were the wrong size). How the houses ever passed inspection is beyond me!

Mick - yup, it was the red one. Will it need anything done to it, or will it be fine now it's going?

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back